Molecular Genetics & Cell Biology Doctoral Program Curriculum
1st Year, Fall Semester (9 cr.)
- IPBS 801 - Fundamentals of Biomolecules (3 cr.)
- IPBS 802 - Molecular Cell Biology* (2 cr.)
- IPBS 803 - Fundamentals of Receptors & Cell Signaling* (2 cr.)
1st Year, Spring Semester (9 cr.)
- MGCB 823 / GCBA 823 - Genetics & Genomics* (2 cr.)
- MGCB 907 / GCBA 907 - Research and Teaching Presentation Skills (2 cr.)
Students must complete 3 electives. One of these must be a methods course. Course meeting methods requirements are denoted by the "*". Options include, but are not limited to:
- GCBA 880 - Principles & Methodology in Cancer Research (CRGP 880) (2 cr.)
- MGCB 815 / GCBA 815 - Bioinformatics* (3 cr.) (meets methods requirement)
- MGCB 825 / GCBA 825 - Human Histology (4-5 cr.)
- MGCB 845 / GCBA 845 - Stem Cell Biology (2 cr.)
- MGCB 912 / GCBA 912 - Modern Approaches in Cell Biology & Genetics* (3 cr.)
- PAMM 857 - Introductory Immunobiology (2 cr.)
Students who have not previously taken a statistics course must enroll in one of the following courses:
- BIOS 806 - Biostatistics I (3 cr.) - This course is offered during the fall term at UNMC.
- STAT 8005 - Statistical Methods I (3 cr.) - This course is offered during the summer term at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Students must complete their Comprehensive Exam by the end of the 3rd year.
MGCB students must also register for the following courses each semester:
- MGCB 903 / GCBA 903 (1 cr. - journal club course)
- MGCB 970 / GCBA 970 (1 cr. - seminar course)
For MD/PhD Students:
Curriculum required for MD/PhD students will be determined by the supervisory committee.