Nebraska Medicine is an internationally renowned academic medical center offering exceptional patient care combined with innovative research and education. University of Nebraska Medical Center is committed to advancing quality health care. University of Nebraska Medical Center provides services in about 50 specialties and subspecialties, including cancer, transplant, neurosciences, heart disease and others.
University of Nebraska Medical Center is internationally renowned for the diagnosis, treatment and research of lymphoma, cancer care, transplantation and other serious diseases. University of Nebraska Medical Center has treated patients from all over the world. Our patients come from across the globe for initial diagnosis, second opinions, treatment, and participation in clinical research trials, bone marrow / stem cell and solid organ transplants. University of Nebraska Medical Center is among the top three transplant centers in the USA.
Our newly integrated organization allows us to strengthen our services by expanding collaboration with our partners and providing access to more than 1,000 physicians and 676 licensed hospital beds as well as over 50 sub-specialties and primary care clinics in Omaha and the surrounding area.
University of Nebraska Medical Center will continue to deliver the same familiar promise of “Serious Medicine Extraordinary Care” to all of our patients wherever they may need it – at their doctors’ office, the hospital, an outpatient facility, in Omaha or Bellevue. And we will maintain our relationship as the primary teaching partner for the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC).
Nebraska Medicine is a 621 acute-care bed facility that provides care to some of the sickest and most complex patients from a team of experts that represents more than 1,000 physicians in all major specialties and subspecialties.
We want to extend an invitation to you and your institution to partner with our world-renowned medical staff and experience our innovative cancer treatment and outcomes. We provide specialized medical concierge global referral services throughout the initial assessment, pre-admission to discharge planning. We also provide international second medical opinion to facilitate remote medical consultations. We have a dedicated nursing team to triage and work side-by-side with you to collaborate in all your patient’s healthcare needs.
University of Nebraska Medical Center is friendly, accessible community in the center of the USA. The un-comparable warmth of the friendly people in Nebraska, the unmatched compassion of our professional medical staff with patients and their families in a culturally sensitive environment and a state-of-the-art level of care is a unique experience you and your patients will experience at University of Nebraska Medical Center.
As the teaching hospital for UNMC, our patients also benefit from one of the nation’s leaders in and cutting edge research and education.
- U.S News & World Report has named Nebraska Medicine the #1 hospital in the state for several years in a row.
- Becker’s Hospital Review has named Nebraska Medicine as one of the 100 Best Hospitals in America for two straight years.
- According to Newsweek’s list of “Top Cancer Doctors 2015,” 75 percent of the top cancer doctors in the state are at Nebraska Medicine.– Nebraska Medical Center has an international reputation for providing solid organ and bone marrow transplantation services.
- We are a leader in oncology, cardiology and neurology services.
- We have an international reputation for providing solid organ and bone marrow transplantation services.
- Nebraska Medicine, along with its academic partner UNMC, are building the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center – the largest project in campus history – scheduled to open in early 2017.
- The Bio containment Unit at Nebraska Medicine: currently the only center accessible to civilians in the United States equipped to safely care for anyone exposed to a contagious and dangerous disease, like Ebola.
- UNMC celebrated its 40th anniversary of Kidney Transplant Program by performing over 5,000 (including 3146 Just Kidney) transplants. We also celebrated 25 years for our Liver Transplant Program, completing more than 2,600, 3,020 liver transplants and 397 small bowel transplants.
- We are one of the first centers and pioneers in Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplants. Our Multi-Organ Transplant program has been successfully performing transplant surgeries for more than 40 years, in all 5 organs.
- We are only one of the four US institutions for pediatric and adult Intestinal and Small Bowel Transplants.
- UNMC oncologists have completed more than 4,000 stem cell transplants, treating patients from every continent around the world.
- UNMC re-launched its Lung transplant program in November of 2015, to become one of the few centers in the country that offers transplantation of all organs.
- In 2014-2015, The Nebraska Medical Center had 181 physicians; representing 50 sub-specialties were named to the “Best Doctors in America”. Of 50,000 physicians in the USA, these physicians were voted in the top 1000 by their peers.
- UNMC/Nebraska Medicine named national Ebola training, education center.
Firsts at Nebraska Medicine
Nebraska Medicine boasts a long, ever-growing list of “Nebraska Firsts” in its history:
- First national OPTN kidney paired donations in the state (2014)
- First surgeons in state to implant total artificial heart . (2013)
- First combined heart and liver transplant in the state (2012)
- First national paired kidney donor network in the state (2011)
- First physician certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) for heart failure and cardiac transplantation (2011)
- First combined heart and kidney transplant in the state (2010)
- First diabetes program to earn the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™ (2010)
- First Blue Distinction Center for Rare & Complex Cancers (2008)
- First Endovascular Repair of Aortic Dissection (2008)
- Busiest Small Bowel Program in Nation (2007)
- First Calypso 4-D Localization System for Radiation Therapy in Region (2007)
- First autologous islet transplant on a young child (2007)
- First nationally certified Congestive Heart Failure and Acute Myocardial Infraction (heart attack) programs (2007)
- First “Frozen Elephant Trunk” procedure in North America (2006)
- First combination heart transplant / aortic aneurysm repair in North America (2006)
- First nationally certified Stroke Center (2005)
- First “level 4” Epilepsy Program (2005)
- First Novalis Radiation Therapy System in Region (2004)
- First internal kidney paired exchange in the state (2004)
- First Anonymous Living Kidney Donation/Transplant Performed (2003)
- First Unrelated Living Liver Transplant (2001)
- First Adult to Adult Living Related Liver Transplant (2001)
- First Bowel Resection Using Surgical Robotic Equipment in World (2000)
- First Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) to treat cancer (2000)
- Delivered the first set of quintuplets (1998)
- First living unrelated kidney transplant in the state (1991)
- First heart transplant (1985)
- First liver transplant (1985)
- First peripheral stem cell transplant program founded (1984)
- First bone marrow transplant (1983)
- First lens implant (1975)
- First kidney transplant (1964)
- First corneal transplant (1958)
- First kidney dialysis (1957)
- First cardiac catheterization (1955)
Most Advanced Treatment Options
The level of expertise offered to patients at the medical center is created by the combined strengths of a private and academic medicine. Physicians in over 50 specialties and sub-specialties provide the most comprehensive collection of clinical services available on one campus.
- Burn Care
- Bariatric Center
- Child life
- Diabetes Center
- Executive Physical
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Immediate Care Clinics
- ICAP: Infection Control Assessment & Promotion Program
- Intestinal Failure
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Neurological Services
- Newborn Care Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Oral Surgery
- Organ Recovery
- Palliative Medicine
- Primary Care
- Physical Therapy
- Primary Care Physicians
- Psychology and Neuropsychology
- Radiology Services
- Sports Medicine
- Transplant Services
- Trauma Center
- Vascular Services
- Women’s Services
- Wound Healing