Get a Second Opinion at University of Nebraska Medical Center
A medical Second Opinion is a valuable resource when you are faced with difficult health circumstances or choices regarding your treatment options. However you may have limited access to highly specialized care depending on where you live, your availability for travel or your mobility. Now you can get a second opinion from UNMC’s world renowned physicians without needing to travel here.
International Healthcare Services at University of Nebraska Medical Center provides the best solutions for electronic consultations, pathology reviews and second opinions. We offer Electronic Tele-Pathology and Second Opinion consultation services. These services allow healthcare colleagues to utilize over 50 sub-specialties at our pathology and genetics facilities.
What makes us special is that we will provide you with a Second Opinion in a simple process that you can request from your home, or physician’s office, it is easy, accurate, confidential and minimal in cost.
Our turnover response is quick; we will send you the consultation report within 72-96 hours in most cases. We provide generous discounts for International patient consultations.
Cases may include but not limited to: Pathology, Genetic, Radiology, and/ or review of treatment recommendations.
University of Nebraska Medical Center is internationally renowned for the diagnosis, treatment and research of lymphoma, cancer care, transplantation and other serious diseases. University of Nebraska Medical Center has treated patients from all over the world. Our patients come from across the globe for initial diagnosis, second opinions, treatments, and participation in clinical research trials, bone marrow / stem cell and solid organ transplants. University of Nebraska Medical Center is among the top transplant centers in the USA.
The University of Nebraska Medical Center/Nebraska Medicine has become one of the busiest transplant centers in the world and has established itself as a leading international cancer care, transplantation, orthopedic, neurology and cardiac centers in the world. We are among the very best in providing specialized programs in stem cell, bone marrow, living-related liver and kidney, liver, liver-small bowel, intestinal, kidney, kidney-pancreas, pancreas, and heart transplantation; treatment of lymphoma and other cancerous diseases, including prostate cancer; as well as advanced treatment for orthopedics, neurology and cardiology. We have treated thousands of patients from the U.S. and all over the world.
Our office of International Healthcare Services specializes in making available complete range of services for out of town and international patients to make their stay with us as beneficial and comfortable as possible. Our unique patient programs are customized to best serve our patient’s individual requirements. We assign a special patient care coordinator to organize all aspects of our patients and their families’ visit to our facilities.
We are very fortunate to have on our staff, internationally renowned specialists. Our dedicated nursing and support staff, as well as our advanced technology are among the very best.
Among the services we provide are:
- Review of medical records
- Updates to referring Physicians
- Language interpretation
- International air ambulance, if needed
- Help with visa
- Schedule appointments.
- Cost estimate, billing and payments.
- Help with insurance programs/Embassy
- Use of business and resource centers
- Hotel and other local accommodations
- Transportation and travel arrangements
- Special diets
- Patient and family support programs
- Other concierge type services
Why University of Nebraska Medical Center?
- Each year the “Best Doctors “organization publishes its list of the top 3% physicians in the USA. In 2014-2015, Nebraska Medicine had 181 physicians; representing 50 sub-specialties were named to the “Best Doctors in America”. Of 50,000 physicians in the USA, these physicians were voted in the top 1000 by their peers.
- Names include such world-renowned specialists as Dr. James Armitage, the most renowned lymphoma specialist in the world, Dr. Anne Kessinger, the pioneer in peripheral Stem Cell Transplantation, Dr. Julie Vose, one of the foremost internationally renowned cancer specialist and researcher and Chairperson of the American Society of Clinical Oncology in 2016, Alan Langnas, renowned transplant specialist and the president of national surgeons group, Dr. Steven Hinrichs, one of the most renowned international hemato-pathologists. And the list goes on.
- UNMC employs over 1,500 staff physicians/faculty/researchers in all healthcare disciplines to assist in collegial consultations. Take advantage of obtaining a consultation from our specialists with our simple Second Opinion process.
- Our world renowned specialties: Leukemia and Lymphoma, Blood and Marrow Stem Cell transplantation, Solid Organ transplantation, Intestinal rehabilitation, Cancer care, Neurology and Epilepsy.
- We are one of the busiest leading Multi-Organ transplant centers in the world, performing successful transplant surgeries of all 5 organs, for more than 40 years.
A Simple Process
The initial stage is to consult with our specialists to ascertain the present condition and patient history. This requires filling out a Second Opinion request form for our specialists. Please send us the attached information and we can get the whole process started.
To ensure timely service, we need the following information of the patient. You or your Physician may fax, FedEx or email the information to us. Images and pathology specimen blocks with reports may be sent to us by overnight mail (shipping instructions are included in our forms).
Generally, we require the following information:
- Completed appropriate forms.
- Patient’s complete medical history, current medications and reports obtained from his doctors.
- Hematology test results, if any are available.
- Pathology specimen biopsy blocks and corresponding written reports, if any available.
- Radiology test results (scans, x-rays, etc.) may be transmitted by written reports or CD-Rom, flash thumb drives or over the internet, if any are available.
- Any other items that may be beneficial for our specialists to better understand the patient’s disease.
Once you complete the forms, please mail, e-mail, or fax back to us at Fax: (402) 552-2405, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When necessary, we will coordinate a person-to-person phone (or video) meeting between your referring physician and our consulting specialist.
We will send you the consultation report within 72-96 hours in most cases.
Second Opinion Fees
Please see our Second Opinion forms.
If you would like us to proceed with your request please let us know, accordingly we will send you the necessary forms that you need to fill and sign, and also the information you need to make the payment.
We understand that quick response is very critical when it comes to patient treatment programs, so as soon as we receive the requested information, we will get the process started.