One modality enhancing the prominence of Nebraska Medicine hospitalist is point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS). Approximately 30 hospitalist faculty and 5 APPs have been trained since 2016. Faculty are provided longitudinal support through a combination of workshops, mentored scanning, online learning, high fidelity simulation, and asynchronous image review and feedback. Both traditional cart-based machines and handheld devices are available to maximize availability and portability; and, we incorporate this technology regularly. As with the incomparable and matchless knowledge, our hospitalist provides their patients to ensure a speedy recovery, POCUS steps in to do the same.
- Smith CJ, Matthias T, Beam E, Wampler K, Pounds L, Nickol D, Shope RJ, Carlson K, Michael K. A Mixed-Methods Evaluation of Medical Residents' Attitudes Towards Interprofessional Learning and Stereotypes Following Sonography Student-Led Point-of-Care Ultrasound Training. J Gen Intern Med. 2020 Oct;35(10):3081-3086. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-06105-5. Epub 2020 Aug 10. PMID: 32779142; PMCID: PMC7572976.
- Smith CJ, Morad A, Balwanz C, Lyden E, Matthias T. Prospective evaluation of cardiac ultrasound performance by general internal medicine physicians during a 6-month faculty development curriculum. Crit Ultrasound J. 2018 Apr 24;10(1):9. doi: 10.1186/s13089-018-0090-7. PMID: 29691756; PMCID: PMC5915984.
- Smith CJ, Matthias T, Beam E, Wampler K, Pounds L, Nickol D, Carlson K, Michael K. Building a bigger tent in point-of-care ultrasound education: a mixed-methods evaluation of interprofessional, near-peer teaching of internal medicine residents by sonography students. BMC Med Educ. 2018 Dec 27;18(1):321. doi: 10.1186/s12909-018-1437-2. PMID: 30591050; PMCID: PMC6307233.
- Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine Innovations Grant ($5000). Evaluating just-in-time training and handheld devices on resident POCUS use. Ongoing multisite study.
- UNMC Educational Support Grant ($3541). Creation of 3-D printed lumbar puncture model. Collaboration with Radiology.