Omaha Area Information
Omaha is a growing city located in America's heartland. A metropolitan area of 700,000 with a low cost of living and low crime rate, it is a place of expanding industry and opportunity that has many things to offer both singles and growing families alike. Take a few moments to explore these links and find out why Omaha is a great place to live and work during your Pulmonary, Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program
- Courtyard Omaha Aksarben Village
- Doubletree by Hilton
- Embassy Suites by Hilton
- Even Hotels Downtown Omaha
- Hilton Omaha
- Hampton Inn & Suites and Homewood Suites by Hilton
- Hotel Deco
- Element by Western
- Hyatt Place Omaha/Downtown
- Magnolia Hotel Omaha
- UNMC Campus Map
- City of Omaha. Link to the city of Omaha government page with information on the area's demographics, our local landmarks, and civic information.
- Douglas County Homepage. Link to our county website where you can find information on vehicle registration, voter registration, and other county resources.
- Visit Nebraska. Explore the many exciting events and attractions that our wonderful state has to offer. S
- Omaha World Herald. Our major newspaper with complete free online access. Also find various community links, classified ads, jobs, and housing links on this site.
- Visit Omaha Website. The official homepage of the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Find links to nearly every major attraction, hotel, event, and restaurant in the Omaha area.
- The Omaha Channel. A website maintained by KETV News with local information and news.
- Omaha Weather. Visit this link to see how the weather will be when you visit Omaha
- Realtor.com. With the most complete source of homes for sale & real estate, recommended neighborhoods, new listings in Omaha
- Apartments.com. We simplify the process of finding a new apartment by offering renters the most comprehensive database including millions of detailed and accurate apartment listings across the United States. Our innovative technology includes the POLYGON™ search tool that allows users to define their own search areas on a map and a "Plan Commute" feature that helps users search for rentals in proximity to their office.
- UNMC Housing Opportunities. By accessing this web site, you will find property for sell or rent by current house officers leaving the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Whether you are moving to Omaha or moving from another location in Omaha, we hope you find this web site helpful.
Omaha Area Attractions
From the annual NCAA College World Series and the Henry Doorly Zoo to the Strategic Air Command Museum and the Omaha Symphony, Omaha has something for people of all ages and walks of life.
- Fontenelle Forest. With over 26 miles of trails near the Missouri River, this forest has a lot to offer. You can see all types incredible flowers, plants, trees, birds, and deer, as well as numerous other animals and natural events in this beautiful forest!
- Joslyn Art Museum. As Nebraska's largest and most distinguished art museum, the Joslyn Art Museum offers a wide range of exhibitions, music, and educational programs.
- The Henry Doorly Zoo. See why so many people say this is the best zoo in the country! It is home to the famous Lied Jungle, Desert Dome, IMAX Theater, Hubbard Gorilla Valley, and many other exhibits. Zoo memberships are offered at discount prices to Internal Medicine residents and their family.
- Omaha Botanical Garden. The garden hosts thousands of visitors annually and consists of 100 acres designed to provide visitors an opportunity to view a variety of foliage, flowers and fruits of plants from around the world.
- Omaha's Old Market. Visit our historic Old Market, where you can find a number of unique shops, galleries, and restaurants.
- Omaha's Children Museum. The goal of this museum is to engage the imagination and create an excitement about learning through various exhibits, programs, and group learning opportunities.
- Centurylink Convention Center. This state-of-the-art arena is Nebraska's premier entertainment and sports venue and Omaha is a destination for many national tours. The convention center attracts thousands of visitors to Omaha each year. The arena is home to the Creighton Bluejays home basketball games, and pulmonary, critical care medicine fellows may have tickets available to them free of charge through the Internal Medicine department.
- Strategic Space and Air Museum. Visit this museum, affiliated with the Offutt Air Force Base, to learn about math, science, engineering, aviation, and space through traveling and permanent exhibits and educational programs.
- College World Series of Baseball. This exciting event comes to Omaha every June. Be sure not to miss your chance to attend one of these memorable games. See Dr. Piquette if you are interested in attending.
- The Omaha Playhouse. Numerous acts perform here and are usually sold-out. Internal Medicine residents have free tickets available through the Internal Medicine department!
- The Omaha Symphony. From Beethoven to Bach, fantastic performances abound at the Omaha Symphony. The Orpheum Theater also hosts other concerts throughout the year.
- Wildlife Safari. A great drive-through adventure 29 miles from Omaha where you can discover North American animals just like Lewis and Clark saw on their journey hundreds of years ago!
- Midtown Crossing. This is what a strong urban core looks like – a diverse neighborhood where restaurants and retail community events and individual experiences radiate. An energetic embrace when you want to live loudly, a quiet escape when you don’t. We’re dinner conversation with friends and shopping you won’t find anywhere else. 16 acres of life’s little extras: activity, serenity, community.