The Department of Internal Medicine has research projects that cover a broad range of topics. Areas of studies range from basic research into the mechanisms of human diseases, to clinical investigations evaluating various aspects of treatments. Students will interact with faculty members and researchers in the laboratory or clinical setting throughout the project.
Students attending undergraduate institutions can apply for two summer research programs in theDepartment of Internal Medicine - the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) or the Summer Undergraduate Alcohol Research Program (SUARP). Chosen applicants will spend 10 weeks of the summer working on a research project in one of the divisions within the department. Students accepted ot the program are committing to work a 40-hour work week for 10 weeks.
Students who elect to participate in the SUARP will participate in all SURP activities which will be complemented by weekly SUARP seminar series hosted by the faculty of the Alcohol Interest Group (AIG) and a weekly journal club. Students participating in the SURP are also invited to attend the weekly SUARP meetings.
The program culminates with a mandatory poster session at which all UNMC SURP and SUARP student efforts and their findings are presented for faculty, staff, family, and peers to view.
Applying: Students are selected for these competitive positions by the department on the basis of academic achievement, motivation, and mutual interest in research areas.
- Required U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Applicants must have completed one year of college by the time they would participate in the program. Those that are enrolled as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or a December graduate in college. (Graduated Seniors will not be given consideration)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.4 and above
- Completion of science courses beyond general biology or chemistry (e.g. organic chemistry, microbiology, genetics, etc.)
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a transcript from the college(s)/university(ies) you have attended (this can be an unofficial copy- include your name)
- Submit a resume including education, experience and extracurricular activities
- A one-page research essay that includes:
- Your long-term career goals
- How you believe a research experience will assist you in your career
- Any prior research experience you have had
- Your expectations of the Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- Indicate your interest in SURP or SUARP
- Submit at least one letter of reference from a faculty member at the institution you are attending
The Department of Internal Medicine will pay $4,000 stipend (before taxes) for a 10-week experience to students accepted to the SURP or SUARP programs.
No funds for housing or transportation are available for SURP or SUARP and it will be up to each student to pay for their own housing. All students who are accepted into the Department of Internal Medicine programs and need housing should contact Shannon Thomsen. Details will be shared on where students live during the upcoming summer session.
Contact the number below if you have further questions regarding an application to the Department of Internal Medicine.
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine
983332 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, Nebraska 68198-3332