Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program
The University of Nebraska Medical Center started a combined Internal Medicine-Pediatrics (Med-Peds) program in 2002. The goal of the program is to offer extensive training in both disciplines and to prepare residents for numerous possible career paths. The Med-Peds program accepts 4 residents per year (starting in 2016) and Med-Peds graduates become board certified in both Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. UNMC is a superb place for Internal Medicine-Pediatric training, as you can see from the following:
- The devotion of the individual departments and their faculty to combined training is unparalleled.
- We strongly believe that combined training is best achieved by fully integrating residents within each department so that ultimately they function essentially as an “Internist” and a “Pediatrician”.
- Though this integration is important, we realize that Med-Peds residents need to foster their own identity, especially given the unique rigors of this training.
- Both departments highly value resident education and make this a priority through both clinical activities and emphasis on conferences and teaching sessions. The devotion to education is continued into the adult and pediatric fellowship opportunities.
- Omaha is a city of close to 1 million people with a diverse patient population and Nebraska Medicine, Children’s Hospital and Medical Center and the VA Medical Center serve an extremely large region including greater Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and South Dakota.
- The combination of strong hospital training and community experience creates a good balance between tertiary and primary care.
- We believe the overall supportive environment here at UNMC make this an ideal setting in which to undertake this demanding, yet rewarding training.
At this time, we do not have a specific Med-Peds M4 rotation. We encourage our applicants to apply for M4 rotations with either the Internal Medicine or Pediatric Programs. If you are able to secure a rotation please let Allison Blatchford know and she will get you in touch with the faculty or residents so that you can learn more about our program.
University of Nebraska Internal Medicine-Pediatrics
982055 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, Nebraska 68198-2055