Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program
The University of Nebraska Medical Center started a combined Internal Medicine-Pediatrics (Med-Peds) program in 2002. The goal of the program is to offer extensive training in both disciplines and to prepare residents for numerous possible career paths. The Med-Peds program accepts 4 residents per year and Med-Peds graduates are eligible to become board certified in both Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. UNMC is a superb place for Internal Medicine-Pediatric training, as you can see from the following:
- The devotion of the individual departments and their faculty to combined training is unparalleled.
- We strongly believe that combined training is best achieved by fully integrating residents within each department so that ultimately they function essentially as an “Internist” and a “Pediatrician”.
- Though this integration is important, we realize that Med-Peds residents need to foster their own identity, especially given the unique rigors of this training.
- Both departments highly value resident education and make this a priority through both clinical activities and emphasis on conferences and teaching sessions. The devotion to education is continued into the adult and pediatric fellowship opportunities.
- Omaha is a city of close to 1 million people with a diverse patient population and Nebraska Medicine, Children’s Hospital and Medical Center and the VA Medical Center serve an extremely large region including greater Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and South Dakota.
- The combination of strong hospital training and community experience creates a good balance between tertiary and primary care.
- We believe the overall supportive environment here at UNMC make this an ideal setting in which to undertake this demanding, yet rewarding training.
At this time, we do not have a specific Med-Peds M4 rotation. We encourage our applicants to apply for M4 rotations with either the Internal Medicine or Pediatric Programs. If you are able to secure a rotation please let Catherine Hughes-Rose know and she will get you in touch with the faculty or residents so that you can learn more about our program.
University of Nebraska Internal Medicine-Pediatrics
982055 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, Nebraska 68198-2055