A Greener IT with these simple settings
- Turn off your monitor when not in use.
- Turn off your computer at the end of the day (on non patching days which are the 1st and 3rd Tues/Wed/Thurs or each month)
- Screen Savers: Set to “Blank Screen” or simply turn off your monitor when away from your desk
- Reduce the brightness settings on the monitor.
- Put your computer in “hibernation mode” (deep sleep) when not in use for long periods of time.
- Unplug devices not in use
- Use ‘Energy Star’ features (or purchase devices with this feature)
- Think before you print; use “Print Preview” before, or instead of, printing.
- Use technology for meetings handouts; instead of paper copies.
- Duplex printing (print on both sides of the paper)
- Print in “gray scale”
- Print multiple pages on one side of the paper
- Turn off printers when not in use
- Configure printer to activate “energy save” modes
- Consider alternatives to paper copies of newsletters, magazines, personal business.
- Use e-mail to minimize paper use and don’t routinely print e-mails.
- If you are replacing or purchasing equipment such as computers, monitors, and copiers always consider ENERGY STAR qualified products.