The goal of the Weeklong Institute for Students in High School (WISH) is to strengthen the career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and improve their access to information and resources that can prepare them for college success. UNMC has spots for up to 12 high school students who are currently enrolled in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade at one of our SEPA partner schools.
WISH will offer students a variety of academic and career experiences:
- introduction to opportunities in health professions with visits to colleges of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, public health, and allied health professions;
- writing, learning, and study skills development;
- clinical exposure through small-group simulation experiences and seminars;
- career development sessions directed toward exploration of the health professions and the admissions process;
- a seminar to expose scholars to a larger view of health care, health systems, and the social determinants of health; and
- an introduction to interprofessional education that addresses effective collaboration across health professions.