985440 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5440
Jessica “Jessie” Nicoll is a licensed and board certified genetic counselor at the Munroe-Meyer Institute of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. She obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Iowa in 2011, and completed her Master of Science degree in Genetic Counseling at Northwestern University in 2014. Jessie previously worked as a genetic counselor in Illinois at Advocate Children’s Hospital in Oak Lawn and at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago.
Jessie’s current roles include providing genetic counseling to patients and their families in the pediatric General Genetics clinic, pediatric Connective Tissue Disorders clinic, and adult Ataxia clinic in conjunction with Nebraska Medicine. She has also been a guest lecturer for UNMC’s Genetic counseling graduate program.
- American Board of Genetic Counseling - Certified Genetic Counselor
- State of Nebraska - Licensed Genetic Counselor
- MS, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 2014
- BS, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 2011
- Clinical rotation supervisor for students in UNMC’s Genetic Counseling graduate program
Research Interests and Projects
- Genetics of neurodegenerative disorders
- Connective tissue disorders
- Psychosocial implications of genetic testing and evaluation
Selected Publications (within the last 5 years)
- Schmidt JL, Pizzino A, Nicoll J, Foley A, Wang Y, Rosenfeld JA, Mighion L, Bean L, da Silva C, Cho MT, Truty R, Garcia J, Speare V, Blanco K, Powis Z, Hobson GM, Kirwin S, Krock B, Lee H, Deignan JL, Westemeyer MA, Subaran RL, Thiffault I, Tsai EA, Fang T, Helman G, Vanderver A. Estimating the relative frequency of leukodystrophies and recommendations for carrier screening in the era of next-generation sequencing. Am J Med Genet A. 2020 Aug;182(8):1906-1912. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.61641. Epub 2020 Jun 23. PMID: 32573057.
- National Society of Genetic Counseling