Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders
985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Nicole Rodriguez is an Assistant Professor at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and the Coordinator of the Early Intervention program at the Munroe Meyer Institute. She received a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Florida in 2002 and additional Post-Baccalaureate training in Applied Behavior Analysis at the University of Florida in 2003. In 2004-2006, Dr. Rodriguez worked as a Clinical Specialist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine’s Kennedy Krieger Institute where she gained valuable clinical and research skills in behavior analysis and the assessment and treatment of severe problem behavior prior to obtaining her Masters of Arts degree in Applied Behavioral Science from the University of Kansas in 2007. She graduated from the doctoral program in Behavior Analysis at Western New England College under the supervision of Dr. Rachel Thompson in June of 2010 and completed her post-doctoral fellowship at the Munroe-Meyer Institute under the mentorship of Dr. Wayne Fisher in the following year. Currently, she specializes in early intervention. She has authored several book chapters and published peer-reviewed research studies in prestigious journals, including the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, the Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, and The Analysis of Verbal Behavior.
Ph.D., Western New England College, Springfield, MA, 2010
M.A., University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 2007
B.S., University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2002
Board Certified Behavior Analyst, 2009
- Experimental and Quantitative Analysis of Behavior (co-instructor)
- Development Across the Lifespan
- Assessment and Treatment of Severe Behavior Disorders
- Advanced Methods in Single Case Research
- Clinical and Research Practica in Early Intervention for Undergraduate-, Masters-, and Doctoral- level Students
Research Interests and Projects
- Behavior-analytic research methodology
- Caregiver training
- Early intervention
- Efficacy and efficiency of teaching procedures
- Faulty stimulus control
- Response Variability
- Restricted and Repetitive Behavior
- Token systems
Selected Publications (within the last 5 years)
- Rodriguez, N. M., Thompson, R. H., Schlichenmeyer, K., & Stocco, C. (2012). Functional analysis and treatment of arranging and ordering by individuals with an autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 45, 1-22.
- Karsina, A., Thompson, R. H., Rodriguez, N. M., & Vanselow, N. R. (2012). Effects of differential reinforcement and rules with feedback on preference for choice and verbal reports. The Analysis of Verbal Behavior, 28, 31-57.
- Fisher, W. W., Rodriguez, N. M., & Owen, T. (2013). Functional assessment and treatment of perseverative speech about restricted topics in an adolescent with Asperger Syndrome. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 46, 307-311.
- Rodriguez, N. M., Thompson, R., H., Stocco, C. S., & Schlichenmeyer, K. (2013). Arranging and ordering in autism: Characteristics, severity, and environmental correlates. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability, 38, 242-255.
- Rodriguez, N. M., Thompson, R. H., & Haremza, J. L. (2014). Rearranging naturally occurring contingencies to increase desirable behavior in a toddler classroom. Behavioral Interventions, 29, 177-185.
- Luczynski, K. C., Hanley, G. P., & Rodriguez, N. M. (2014). An evaluation of the generalization and maintenance of functional communication and self-control skills with preschoolers. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 47, 246-263.
- Rodriguez, N. M., & Thompson, R. H. (2015). Behavioral variability and autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 48, 167-187.
- Miller, S. A. , Rodriguez, N. M., & Kaminski, A. J. (2015). Using a mirror to facilitate acquisition of gross motor imitation. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 48, 194-198.
- Zangrillo, A. N., Warzak, W. J., Volkert, V. V., Valleley, R. J., Shriver, M. D., Rodriguez, N. M.,…Allen, K. D. (2016). The Munroe-Meyer approach: Continuous integration of didactic instruction, research, and clinical practice. The Behavior Analyst.
- Rodriguez, N. M., Levesque, M. A., Cohrs, V. L., & Niemeier, J. J. (accepted). Teaching children with autism to request help with difficult tasks. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- DeSouza, A. A., Fisher, W. W., & Rodriguez, N. M., (accepted). Facilitating the emergence of convergent intraverbals in children with autism. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Rodriguez, N. M., Fisher, W. W., & Kelley, M. E. (2012). Treatment Methods Commonly Used in Conjunction with Functional Assessment. In J. L. Matson (Ed.). Functional Assessment for Challenging Behavior. New York: Springer.
- Fisher, W. W., Rodriguez, N. M., Luczynski, K. C., & Kelley, M. E. (2013). Protective equipment. In D. Reed, F. DiGennaro Reed, & J. Luiselli (Eds). Handbook of Crisis Intervention for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities. New York: Springer.
- Luczynski, K. C., & Rodriguez, N. M. (2015). In D. Reed & F. DiGennaro Reed (Eds). Transitions. Bridging the Gap between Science and Practice in Autism Service Delivery.
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Behavior Analysis International
- Heartland Association for Behavior Analysis
- Professional Affiliations