985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
The current Director of Genetic Medicine and Friedland Professor at MMI, Dr. Rahman formerly served as Division Director for Medical Genetics and Vice Chair for Faculty Development in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC). He also was the founding director of UMMC’s Center of Genetic Medicine.
Dr. Rahman’s practice is focused primarily on adult and pediatric patients in a general genetics clinic as well as inpatient consults for pediatrics, prenatal, and adult genetics. He also has participated in the teaching of genetics to the first-year medical school class with a focus on genetic principles, common genetic conditions, and pharmacogenetics.
Business Advantage Program, Millsaps College, Jackson, MS, 2009
Genetics Residency, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2005
Pediatric Residency, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS, 2003
M.D., University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS, 2000
B.S., Millsaps College, Jackson, MS, 1996
First-year medical student genetics course, third and fourth year medical student genetics rotation
Research Interests and Projects
Dr. Rahman’s background and research interests lie in developing new approaches to systematically capture phenotypic information relevant to clinical genetics, as well as applying that information in the context of molecular genetics and genomics so as to reach a mechanistic and diagnostic understanding of health and human disease. He has a particular focus on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD).
Selected Publications (within the last 5 years)
- Hoyme HE, Kalberg WO, Elliott AJ, Blankenship J, Buckley D, Marais AS, Manning MA, Robinson LK, Adam MP, Abdul-Rahman O, Jewett T, Coles CD, Chambers C, Jones KL, Adnams CM, Shah PE, Riley EP, Charness ME, Warren KR, May PA. Updated Clinical Guidelines for Diagnosing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics. 2016 Aug;138(2).
- Hoyme HE, Hoyme DB, Elliott AJ, Blankenship J, Kalberg WO, Buckley D, Abdul-Rahman O, Adam MP, Robinson LK, Manning , Bezuidenhout H, Jones KL, May PA. 2015. A South African mixed race lip/philtrum guide for diagnosis of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Am J Med Genet Part A 2015 Apr;167(4):752-5.
- Assessment of congenital anomalies in infants born to pregnant women enrolled in clinical trials. Rasmussen SA, Hernandez-Diaz S, Abdul-Rahman OA, Sahin L, Petrie R, Keppler-Noreuil KM, Frey SE, Mason RM, Nesin M, Carey JC. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Dec 15;59 Suppl 7:S428-36.
- Prevalence and characteristics of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. May PA, Baete A, Russo J, Elliott AJ, Blankenship J, Kalberg WO, Buckley D, Brooks M, Hasken J, Abdul-Rahman O, Adam MP, Robinson LK, Manning M, Hoyme HE. Pediatrics. 2014 Nov;134(5):855-66.
- Van Houdt JK, Nowakowska BA, Sousa SB, van Schaik D, Seuntjens E, Avonce N, Sifrim A, Abdul-Rahman OA, van den Boogaard MJ, Bottani A, Castori M, Cormier-Daire V, Deardorff MA, Filges I, Fryer A, Fryns JP, Gana S, Garavelli L, Gillessen-Kaesbach G, Hall BD, Horn D, Huylebroeck D, Klapecki J, Krajewska-Walasek M, Kuechler A, Lines MA, Maas S, Macdermot KD, McKee S, Magee A, de Man SA, Moreau Y, Morice-Picard F, Obersztyn E, Pilch J, Rosser E, Shannon N, Stolte-Dijkstra I, Van Dijck P, Vilain C, Vogels A, Wakeling E, Wieczorek D, Wilson L, Zuffardi O, van Kampen AH, Devriendt K, Hennekam R, Vermeesch JR. Heterozygous missense mutations in SMARCA2 cause Nicolaides-Baraitser syndrome. Nat Genet 2012 Feb 26;44(4):445-9.
- Campeau PM, Kim JC, Lu JT, Schwartzentruber JA, Abdul-Rahman OA, Schlaubitz S, Murdock DM, Jiang MM, Lammer EJ, Enns GM, Rhead WJ, Rowland J, Robertson SP, Cormier-Daire V, Bainbridge MN, Yang XJ, Gingras MC, Gibbs RA, Rosenblatt DS, Majewski J, Lee BH. Mutations in KAT6B, Encoding a Histone Acetyltransferase, Cause Genitopatellar Syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2012 Feb 10;90(2):282-9.
- A new leukocyte hyperadhesion syndrome of delayed cord separation, skin infection, and nephrosis. Simpson B, Yarbrough K, Svensson L, McDowall A, Daley W, Hogg N, Abdul-Rahman O. Pediatrics 2014 Jan;133(1):e257-62.
American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics
- 2014 Gold Humanism Induction Ceremony, Key Note Speaker
- 2014 Outstanding Pediatric Faculty Award (Evans Award), University of Mississippi Medical Center