The public is invited to attend the Munroe-Meyer Guild’s Annual Garden Walk on the second Sunday in June.
Proceeds from the event benefit UNMC’s Munroe-Meyer Institute (MMI). MMI’s mission is to lead the world in transforming the lives of all individuals with disabilities and special health care needs, their families and the community through outreach, engagement, premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care.
Grants in 2017 will be on a rolling basis throughout the year. The following grants have been awarded:
- “Assisted Technology in a Simulated Home,” MMI Speech Language Pathology and Occupational Therapy Departments. This grant will be used to purchase equipment that will help children and adults use trial technology and determine if it will benefit them in their home before they purchase the equipment. The goals of the grant are:
- establish a simulated home with integrated and automated assistive technology (AT) controls;
- develop an interdisciplinary group of professional to explore and develop new AT tools; and
- increase opportunities for children and adults to trial and learn how to use new technology that will increase their independence to control the technology in their home.
- “Measuring Executive Functions* for NICU Graduates,” MMI Education and Child Development Department. The purpose of this grant is to do a pilot study on high-risk NICU graduates to examine the benefits of including the evaluation of executive functions for the high-risk children attending MMI TIPS clinic into the standard clinical assessment practice. The results will help to guide assessment practices and allow the clinical team to provide parents with developmental guidance related to the importance of executive function studies for scholarly contribution to this field of study.
*Executive functions are a set of cognitive processes that include attentional control, inhibitory control, self-regulation, working memory and cognitive flexibility, as well as reasoning, problem-solving and planning.
The Munroe-Meyer Guild is a non-profit organization. The guild’s mission is to improve the quality of life for persons with disabilities through fundraising for UNMC’s Munroe-Meyer Institute.
For more information, call 402-203-7270.