For patients utilizing our insurance preauthorization services, the estimated cost of genetic testing after insurance payment may be available and communicated prior to testing, depending on the insurance carrier and their preauthorization requirements.
- The out-of-pocket amount provided on the 'cost estimate' cannot be guaranteed. Most often, insurance carriers only make a final determination after all testing is performed and the claim is submitted.
- Patients will then receive a bill from the Human Genetics Laboratory / Nebraska Medicine. Patients are responsible for any allowable balance remaining as deemed by their insurance carrier. Information on bill payment methods and phone numbers to the billing office will be provided on that statement.
In some cases, patients do not have insurance coverage or choose not to submit testing through their insurance carrier. In other cases, patients with Medicare find that genetic testing is not a covered benefit. For these situations, patients can pay out-of-pocket for the cost of testing up front (pre-pay) or after services have been performed (self-pay) and will receive customary pricing.
Patients choosing to pre-pay in full at the time of specimen submission will receive customary pricing. Testing will begin once full payment is processed.
- To authorize pre-payment, complete and submit a payment form by email (email@example.com), fax (402-559-7248), postal mail (UNMC Human Genetics Laboratory, 985440 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha NE 68198-5440), or include with the specimen.
- Patients will receive a receipt via postal mail or email.
- Patients can request an itemized statement by contacting Nebraska Medicine at 402-559-3140 or 888-662-8662.
Patients who make self-pay arrangements prior to testing will receive customary pricing. This agreement must be in place prior to testing and insurance claims cannot be submitted once the specimen has been processed.
- PATIENTS WITH PRIVATE / MEDICAID / NO INSURANCE:
- Submit a completed and signed Self-Pay Waiver of Services form which informs patients of the expected costs for the specific testing recommended and allows for them to make a financially-informed decision prior to proceeding with testing.
- PATIENTS WITH MEDICARE:
- Submit a completed and signed ABN designating option #2 that states patient is responsible for the payment and charges cannot be appealed if Medicare is not billed.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is necessary to view/print forms. Download Adobe Reader