Potential Test Results:
For either type of genetic change observed (copy number change or LOH), the following designation will be made:
- A normal or negative result indicates that no potentially pathogenic copy number changes or regions of LOH were identified.
- An abnormal / pathogenic or positive result indicates that microarray identified one or more clinically-significant copy number change or region of LOH. In most cases, these abnormalities will include aberrations in known oncogenes or tumor suppressor genes.
- In some cases, the clinical significance of a copy number change or regions of LOH which were identified in areas of the genome that may have well-characterized roles in pathogenesis. These anomalies will be reported as variants of uncertain clinical significance. As the number of cases studied by microarray increases over time, these uncertain results may be better classified as normal or abnormal.
- In some cases, microarray may identify non-neoplastic genetic changes that may have consequences for the patient and his/her medical management. These unexpected results will be reported.
- In some circumstances, a sample may not contain sufficient DNA and a result will be unavailable.