Establish or update a client profile
- Client billing (the most efficient way to order testing from our laboratory) simplifies the ordering and testing process by eliminating our laboratory's involvement with your patient's insurance carrier.
- Create or provide updated client information by using the new/update client account form.
Include a test request form with all specimens
- Test request forms are indication-specific and individualized by test area.
- To ensure prompt specimen processing, provide accurate and complete information, including enlarged copies of insurance cards and prior authorization information, if needed.
- Test cancellations can be communicated by submitting a test cancellation form.
Obtain patient consent for testing
- Informed consent is the process of educating a patient about the type of genetic test being ordered and asking the patient to agree to testing. This includes providing information about the testing procedure, benefits and limitations of the test, and the possible consequences of the test results. Informed consent for genetic testing is generally obtained by a health care provider during a patient consultation.
- When ordering exome sequencing, a signed patient consent form (included in exome test request form) is required and must be sent with the specimen.
- For all other testing, patient consent forms are recommended but not required.
Request insurance preauthorization
- Verifying insurance coverage or obtaining preauthorization is often required for genetic testing.
- When possible, our laboratory recommends submitting an insurance preauthorization request form PRIOR TO specimen collection to avoid delays in specimen processing and resulting.
Communicate potential patient costs
- ABN and Self-pay waiver of service forms are used to inform patients of their potential financial responsibility when it is determined that genetic testing is not covered by insurance.
- We offer patients discounted pricing when pre-pay / self-pay arrangements (by credit card using the credit card prepayment form) are made at the time of specimen submission.
Authorize release of information
- By submitting an authorization for release of information form patients, parents/guardians, and other individuals can request that our laboratory release information including genetics results/reports or karyotype images of chromosomes. It important that genetic results be discussed with a health care provider, such as a geneticist, genetic counselor, or other physician knowledgeable on the implications of results.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is necessary to view/print forms. Download Adobe Reader