The MMI Special Needs Car Seat Program is designed to assist families with children with special needs who are in need of a safe way to position their child in a car seat, booster or harness while being transported in a vehicle. Our “Child Safety Seat” specially trained and certified therapists will determine with family input which seat most appropriately meets their child’s positioning needs.
Our guiding principles
We realize that every child/dependent and family has unique transportation and positioning needs that are not always met with standard child safety seats or boosters.
Every child/dependent is required by federal law (LB 42) to be safely positioned while traveling in a car or bus.
Team collaboration between families and their child/dependent, technicians, insurance companies and health professionals is key.
View our Special Needs Car Seat Program brochure.
What to expect at a car seat evaluation appointment
A full car seat evaluation at MMI requires a referral from a primary care physician and insurance authorization. An additional 1 or 2 sessions will be required to properly fit the car seat to the child/adult and to educate/train the family/caregivers on correct placement and positioning of the seat.
Our hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Scheduling flexibility may be available to address specific families’ needs.
At your appointment, expect:
- A physical therapy evaluation including a thorough interview regarding child’s/dependent’s medical history and current positioning needs.
- An assessment of child’s/dependent’s posture and strength as it relates to positioning and overall functional skills.
- Discussion regarding current transportation needs of child/dependent and what types of car/bus might be utilized in the near future.
- Coordination with durable equipment vendors to assist with approval and ordering of requested seat/booster or harness system.
- Follow up appointment to assist with placement of seat into the vehicle, correctly fitting the child/dependent into the seat and training for the caregivers for safe use.
MMI accepts all forms of insurance and works with your insurance provider to maximize your benefits. To ensure insurance coverage for PT visits, the following is required:
- Insurance company name, policy number and policy holder’s name; and
- A prescription from your primary care provider that clearly states functional needs or goals to be addressed by PT AND the necessary location of services (home, community, clinic).