- Dr. Kathleen Healey, Dr. Rana Zabad and Renee Stewart, APRN-NP, received the Linda Morgante Hope Award for a poster which best represented a spirit of optimism and possibility related to clinical care or education for patients with MS and their families.
- Dr. Afsaneh Shirani was awarded a two-year Physician Scientist Program Award by UNMC, and for the third year in a row was supported by a Clinician Scientist Development Award from the US National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Dr. Rana Zabad was elected as Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Dr. Sachin Kedar was elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Dr. David Warren received the Nancy and Ronald Eagan Alzheimer's Research award.
- Dr. Tony Wilson received The Distinguished Scientist Award, which is sponsored by the chancellor and recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
- Dr. Danish Bhatti was a recipient of an Office of Academic Affairs 2018-2019 Impact in Education Award.
- Dr. Shelley Smith received the Neurosensory Systems COBRE Leadership and Vision award.
- Dr. Olga Taraschenko was awarded a Junior Investigator grant from the American Epilepsy Society to study the role of inflammation in autoimmune seizures.
- Dr. Matthew Rizzo, Dr. Olga Taraschenko and Dr. Diane Ehlers had a collaboration featured in the Big 10 Cancer Research Consortium regarding Oncology and Neurological Sciences to develop biomarkers of neurotoxcity in patients receiving a novel cancer treatment.
- Dr. Tony Wilson was awarded a new research grant (5 year R01 from the National Institute of Mental Health) titled “The Progressive Elevation of Spontaneous Cortical Activity in HAND (PESCAH) Project”.
- Dr. Tony Wilson was awarded a new research grant (5 year R01 from the National Institute of Mental Health) titled “Multimodal Imaging of NeuroHIV Dynamics (MIND): An Omaha-Pittsburgh Consortium”.
- Dr. Elizabeth Heinrichs-Graham was selected to receive a Scholar Award as part of the Great Plains IDeA CTR for her project titled “Multimodal investigation into the effects of hearing loss on cognitive and neural development”.
- Dr. Matthew Rizzo was awarded a new research grant collaboration with Dr. Mikuls (Rheumatology) from the Rheumatoid Research Foundation titled “Driving Performance and Safety in Rheumatoid Arthritis”.
- Dr. Matthew Rizzo with Dr. Jennifer Merickel, Dr. Cyrus Desouza, and Dr. Andjela Drincic were awarded a new research grant by Toyota Motor Company titled “Modeling Multidimensional Risk in Real-World Drivers with Diabetes”.
- Dr. David Warren was awarded a new IDeA CTR funded pilot research grant, titled “Targeted transcranial magnetic stimulation to improve hippocampal-dependent declarative memory abilities in patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment.
- Dr. Olga Taraschenko received a new research grant titled “Role of inflammation in autoimmune seizures” from the Frances E. Lageschulte and Evelyn B. Weese New Frontiers in Medical Research Fund.
- Dr. Padmashri Ragunathan received her first NIH research grant titled “Effects of developmental alcohol exposure on astrocyte Ca2+ signaling and structural synaptic plasticity.
- Dr. Sung-Ho Huh has received a grant from the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services – Stem Cell Research Advisory Committee for his project titled – Mechanism Regulating Sensory Stem Cell Generation and Maintenance.
- Dr. Sung-Ho Huh received a grant from the University of Alabama for his project titled, Role of Etv4 and Etv5 for the Kidney Cyst Formation.
- Dr. Sung-Ho Huh also received a Collaborative Seed Grant from the Nebraska Research Initiative for his project titled, Growth Factor Dynamics and Regenerative Capacity of Gustatory and Somatosensory Systems using Microfluidics. The grant collaborators are Dr. Hyung Joon Kim from UNMC and Dr. Suzanne Sollars from UNO.
- Dr. Xiaowei Li received a grant from the American Heart Association for his project titled, Promoting Organization and Integration of Transplanted Stem Cells for Brain Tissue Regeneration after Stroke.
- Dr. Tony Wilson and Dr. Daniel Murman were awarded a new research grant administrative supplement, to the parent R01 from the National Institute of Mental Health titled “The Progressive Elevation of Spontaneous Cortical Activity in HAND (PESCAH) Project”.
- Dr. Howard Fox (Pharmacology) was awarded a new research grant (5 year R01 from the National Institute on Drug Abuse) titled “Signatures of Cannabis Abuse in NeuroHIV (SCAN): An Integrated Molecular and Imaging Approach”.
- Dr. Matthew Rizzo, Dr. Daniel Murman and Dr. Scott Campbell (Pathology and Microbiology) were awarded an administrative supplement to the GP IDeA-CTR that will provide funding to develop much needed infrastructure for Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) research.
- Dr. Elizabeth Heinrichs-Graham was awarded Great Plains IDeA-CTR.
- Dr. Diego Torres-Russotto was elected to the Tremor Research Group (TRG).
- Dr. Danish Bhatti was awarded International Best Teacher Honor from PSN.
- Dr. J. Americo Fernandes was awarded the Circle of Distinction Honor from University of Nebraska Foundation.
- Dr. T. Scott Diesing was awarded the UNMC Impact in Education Award and Interprofessional Education Scholar.
- Dr. T. Scott Diesing was elected to the Nebraska Medicine Medical Executive Board.
- Dr. T. Scott Diesing was elected to the UNMC Faculty Senate.
- Dr. Matthew Rizzo recognized by the Chancellor’s Office as a Distinguished Scientist. The award – sponsored by the Chancellor – recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists in the country during the past five years.
- Dr. Sachin Kedar and Dr. Deepta Ghate were recognized at the 2017 UNeMed Research and Innovation Awards Banquet on Oct. 26. They were honored for filing New invention notifications and successful licensing of the technology for a Virtual reality-based advanced pupil simulator.
- Dr. David Warren was awarded $20,000 at the CTR SuperStar Competition on Oct. 23, to put toward his research. The competition helped raise awareness of clinical and translational research by promoting scholars who are developing innovative tools and methods for medical research.
- Dr. Jennifer Merickel won a Travel Award for a Top Abstract at the San Diego meeting of the American Neurological Association.
- Dr. David Anderson has an abstract that was accepted for the Transportation Research Board and he will present it in January at the Annual TRB conference.
- Dr. Pariwat Thaisetthawatkul was elected for Vice Chair of the Neuromuscular section for the Academy of Neurology.
The Department hosted the Orthostatic Tremor (OT) Symposium in October, and UNMC conducted the largest international study on the rare movement disorder, with nearly 90 OT patients coming to Omaha from around the world.
In August, U.S. News & World Report again named Nebraska Medicine-Nebraska Medical Center as the No. 1 hospital in Nebraska and has listed Neurology and Neurosurgery as high-performing specialties.
The Department also hosted a Neuroimaging Symposium in April, which highlighted cutting-edge work in neuroimaging, as well as started a discussion on the possibility of world-class neuroimaging infrastructure and programs at UNMC
- Dr. John Bertoni served as the Plenary Speaker at the UNMC "Living Better With Parkinson Disease" symposium in October 2016.
- Dr. Matthew Rizzo was named Principal Investigator of a five-year National Institutes of Health research grant totaling nearly $20 million. The grant will create the Great Plains IDeA-CTR Network.
- Dr. Pariwat Thaisetthawatkul completed the UNMC Physician Leadership Academy.
- Dr. Diego Torres-Russotto was named a founding member of the UNMC Interprofessional Academy of Educators.
- Dr. Pariwat Thaisetthawatkul was named a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Dr. Sachin Kedar was named a Fellow of the North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society.
- Dr. Pariwat Thaisetthawatkul was named Teacher of the Year by the UNMC Department of Neurological Sciences' residency program.