Our Comprehensive Epilepsy Program is a nationally recognized epilepsy practice that provides some of the most advanced therapies available in Nebraska and the surrounding areas. We are a designated Level-4 epilepsy center, providing the best care for our patients. The epilepsy team staffs five neurologists board-certified in epilepsy, two Advanced Practitioners, as well as a team of experts, including neurosurgeons, psychologists, neuropsychologists, dedicated nurse case managers, registered electroencephalography (EEG) technologists and registered dietitians.
Nebraska Medicine was one of first epilepsy centers in the country to use a state-of-the-art magnetoencephalograph (MEG) scanner to diagnose and treat epilepsy and other neurological disorders. The MEG scanner means that Nebraska Medicine doctors have the best tools available to precisely diagnose and treat epilepsy.
As medical professionals and leaders in the region, we are dedicated to provide comprehensive care and cover all aspects of epilepsy treatments. These include:
- Applying the previous tests to diagnose epilepsy or other types of conditions leading to paroxysmal disabling events
- Counseling and education about the condition
- Medical treatment of epilepsy
- Dietary therapy
- Pre-surgical work-up for patients who are candidates for a potential epilepsy surgery
- Surgical treatment for epilepsies that are uncontrolled with medications
- RNS® System, a new implantable device to help control seizures. When it detects abnormal electrical activity, it delivers tiny doses of electrical stimulation to stop seizures before they start
- Vagal nerve stimulation (VNS). VNS involves implanting a small device that sends frequent electrical impulses to the brain with the goal of controlling the number of seizures a patient experiences