She will be honored, along with six fellow faculty members, at the Academic Affairs Impact in Education Awards Ceremony at 3 p.m. on Jan. 11 in the Durham Research Center Auditorium.
"I am very honored to receive the Educator Laureate Award and greatly appreciate the campus' encouragement and support for faculty and programs to explore innovative educational endeavors," Honeycutt said.
The Varner Educator Laureate Award recognizes an individual with sustained achievement in education who has significantly improved the UNMC learning environment through the provision of outstanding educational experiences.
Varner Educator Laureate Award
Beginning this year, the Varner Educator Laureate Award is named after Jerald Varner, Ph.D., associate professor in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering. In addition to his support of the Innovation in Education Awards, Dr. Varner also currently funds the Varner Professorship in Pancreatic Cancer and Global Health in the College of Medicine, which is held by Chandra Are, M.B.B.S.
Other recipients of 2017 Academic Affairs Impact in Education Awards include:
Innovative Practices in Education Award:
- Tanya Custer, assistant professor and distance education coordinator for the UNMC Department of Medical Imaging & Therapeutic Sciences, and Kim Michael, associate professor and program director of diagnostic medical sonography education and associate director of the Interprofessional Academy of Educators
Inspirational Mentor of Educators Award:
- Shantaram Joshi, Ph.D., professor, UNMC Department of Genetics, Cell Biology & Anatomy
Interprofessional Education Scholar Award:
- Cynthia Ellis, M.D., professor, UNMC Department of Developmental Medicine at the Munroe-Meyer Institute
This award recognizes an individual who has made significant contributions to interprofessional education locally, regionally or nationally.
Research in Education Scholar Award:
- Paul Schenarts, M.D., professor, UNMC Department of Surgery
Valor in Educational Service Award:
- Robert Binhammer, Ph.D., emeritus professor, UNMC Department of Genetics, Cell Biology & Anatomy
Visionary Leadership in Education Award:
- Lynnette Leeseberg Stamler, Ph.D., professor, UNMC College of Nursing Northern Division
Woo hoo Karen! Well deserved recognition!
Karen, a great honor and well deserved!
So very Happy for You! Congratulations!!
It's wonderful that you're being recognized for your significant contributions in educating our future healthcare workforce. I feel fortunate to be a colleague, Karen. Congratulations!
Congratulations Karen. This is a well deserved honor. I am very pleased to see that your efforts are being recognized.
Great news! Congratulations, Karen!
Congratulations! You are very deserving of this honor.
Kudos to Karen for the awesome recognition of your talents!
Well deserved honor! Congratulations, Karen!
Congratulations on receiving this prestigious and well -deserved award!
Congratulations, Karen! This is a well-deserved award.
Congratulations Karen!! Well deserved! 🥂