University of Nebraska Medical Center Chancellor Jeffrey P. Gold, M.D., will recognize seven faculty members for their meritorious teaching and mentoring of students and faculty at the Annual Faculty Awards ceremony on April 24 at 4 p.m. in the UNMC Durham Research Center Auditorium in Omaha.
He also will recognize two winners of this year’s prestigious University-wide Awards:
- Joseph Evans, Ph.D., recipient of the Innovation, Development and Engagement Award, one of the University of Nebraska’s most prestigious awards for teaching, research and engagement.
- The Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Anatomy recipient of the University-wide Departmental Teaching Award, NU’s most prestigious honor for departmental excellence in teaching.
Dr. Evans is professor of psychology at the Munroe-Meyer Institute and the Behavioral Health Education Center of Nebraska. A program innovator, Dr. Evans developed the pediatric integrated behavioral health in primary care model at UNMC that has been extended to 42 integrated care programs in Nebraska and numerous other states. Children, adolescents and families from more than 225 cities, towns and villages have been provided behavioral health services thanks to the program he developed.
The Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Anatomy is chaired by Vimla Band, Ph.D., the Ardith and Anna Von Housen Professor and associate director of the Center for Breast Cancer Research at the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center. With more than 100 years of accomplishments in teaching, scholarship and service, the department is home to a diverse faculty whose scholarly interests include biomedical and translational research, innovation in teaching and continuing education.
Dr. Gold will present his state-of-the-campus address, titled, "Maintaining the Momentum," at the awards ceremony. A reception will follow the event.
Faculty members who have served UNMC for either 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years also will be honored.
Outstanding Teacher Award
- Joseph Anderson, M.D., professor, radiology, College of Medicine
- Mark Shriver, Ph.D., professor, psychology, Munroe-Meyer Institute
Outstanding Faculty Mentor of Graduate Students Award
- Max Kurz, Ph.D., associate professor, physical therapy, Munroe-Meyer Institute
Outstanding Faculty Mentor of Junior Faculty Award
- Corrine Hanson, Ph.D., associate professor, medical nutrition education, College of Allied Health Professions
- Kaustubh Datta, Ph.D., professor, biochemistry and molecular biology, College of Medicine
- Jane Kugler, M.D., associate professor, anesthesiology, College of Medicine
Spirit of Community Service Award
- R. Katherine Hyde, Ph.D., assistant professor, biochemistry and molecular biology, College of Medicine
We are Nebraska Medicine and UNMC. Our mission is to lead the world in transforming lives to create a healthy future for all individuals and communities through premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care.