The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
- Name: Corrine Hanson, Ph.D.
- Title: Associate professor/associate program director, medical nutrition education, UNMC College of Allied Health Professions
- Joined UNMC: July 2011
- Hometown: Schuyler, Neb.
- Nutrition throughout the life course
The goal of my research is:
My primary areas of research at this time are:
- To define nutrition interventions in pregnancy and the pre-conception period that impact the long-term health of the offspring; and
- To understand the role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of lung diseases such as COPD and asthma.
My research will make a difference because: Nutrition is fundamental to our understanding of health and disease and offers one of the most effective and least costly ways to decrease the burden of disease. Even though people have been eating for a while now, nutrition is a relatively young science that has had its share of problems, and there is still a great deal we do not know. My research teams hope to contribute to the body of knowledge about how nutrition affects health and disease at different points in the lifecycle, and in different sub-populations of people.
The best advice I've ever been given is:
Some of the best advice I've ever been given is that I only need to do three things to be successful:
- Do good work.
- Get your work done on time.
- Be nice to the people around you.
And the real secret is you really only need to do any two of those at a time!
Three things you may not know about me are:
- I have a dachshund named Dash, whose favorite pastimes are sleeping and eating.
- I share favorite pastimes with my dog!
- My two sons are students at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Congrats honey. You sure have a very proud Mom and Dad. Now don’t be blaming Dash for your favorite pastimes. We love you.
Congrats Corrie! So proud of you!
Congratulations! What a wonderful and well deserved recognition for your very important research.
Congratulations...WELL DESERVED RECOGNITION for all you do.
Congratulation on a much-deserved honor, Corri.
Congratulations, Corri! -- A well-deserved recognition for your research contributions in perinatal-n-newborn health!