Walter "Ted" Carter, VADM (Ret.), the priority candidate to serve as the University of Nebraska's eighth president, will be in Omaha on Nov. 7 and 8 to take part in forums at UNMC and the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO).
On Friday, Carter began a series of public events that will provide faculty, staff, students, members of the media and the community with opportunities to meet him, ask questions and share feedback with the Board of Regents. The board on Oct. 25 unanimously voted to name Carter the priority candidate; his selection is now subject to a 30-day vetting period before the board can consider appointing him president-elect.
Events in Kearney, Curtis, North Platte, Grand Island, Lincoln, Beatrice and Nebraska City were announced last week. Additional events in Omaha have now been finalized. Details are:
Thursday, Nov. 7:
- 10 to 11:30 a.m.: University of Nebraska at Omaha campus forum, Thompson Alumni Center, Bootstrapper Hall, 6705 Dodge St., Omaha
- 1:30 to 3 p.m.: UNO campus forum, Thompson Alumni Center, Bootstrapper Hall, 6705 Dodge St., Omaha
- 3:30 to 5 p.m.: UNO and Omaha community forum, Thompson Alumni Center, Bootstrapper Hall, 6705 Dodge St., Omaha
Friday, Nov. 8:
- 10 to 11:30 a.m.: University of Nebraska Medical Center campus forum, Sorrell Center, Room 2010, 42nd & Emile streets, Omaha (Note: Forum will be live-streamed.)
- 1:30 to 3 p.m.: UNMC campus forum, Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, Yanney Conference Room, 505 S. 45th St., Omaha (Note: Forum will be live-streamed.)
More events in Columbus, Norfolk, Fremont and Scottsbluff are being scheduled now and will be announced soon.
Carter is the immediate past superintendent of his alma mater, the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., and is a former president of the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, R.I. He was unanimously supported by a 23-member Presidential Search Advisory Committee that included faculty, staff, students, administration, business, agriculture and the community.
Nebraskans are invited to submit feedback to the Board anytime during the 30-day review period by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.