Anita Sivaraman, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Anita Sivaraman, MD
- Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Gastrointestinal care
- Chronic constipation and hemorrhoid management
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Obesity and weight management
- Colon cancer screening and prevention
- Gastrojejunostomy placement for enteral dopamine administration (Duopa®)
- Medical education
- Quality improvement and outcomes research
- Women's health
How I fell in love with gastroenterology: I was fascinated by the complex functions of the GI tract and the liver. Through endoscopy, I developed an admiration for the beauty of the lining of the GI tract that allows for the intricate functions of digestion and absorption of nutrients. As a gastroenterologist, I enjoy getting to know my patients but also the ability to visualize the esophagus, stomach, colon and parts of the small intestine endoscopically to diagnose and treat GI diseases.
- BA in biology and psychology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- Residency in internal medicine, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
- Fellowship in gastroenterology and hepatology, Medstar Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C.
- American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
- American Gastroenterology Association (AGA)
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- American Association of the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
Three things people may not know about me:
- I did my residency training at the hospital where I was born.
- I am a professional classical Indian dancer and teacher.
- I love roller coasters and traveling.
- Durham Outpatient Center
- Village Pointe Multidisciplinary Clinic
Welcome Anita! Hope we can meet in person in the near future. We share the love of roller coasters!
Welcome! If you've never been to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, it's a must for roller coaster lovers! My family highly recommends it!