Omaha’s Learning Resource Center
The UNMC College of Nursing Learning Resource Center in Omaha is a multi-function unit that encompasses space in two nursing buildings on the UNMC campus at 42nd and Dewey Street. With the addition of the Center for Nursing Science building, we now have 15 rooms available for student interactions, including a hospital lab, computer lab for students, clinical skills labs, and 6 high-tech simulation rooms. The Omaha simulation center is also used by other health care disciplines, as well as for tours and recruiting purposes.
In the Learning Resource Center, nursing students:
- Learn new clinical skills and practice skills in a safe, non-threatening environment
- Apply clinical knowledge to situations that are put into health care context
- Experience real-life health care settings in the state-of-art simulation center
Approximately 80 undergraduate students are admitted into the traditional (two year) program every year, as well as 32 accelerated students (one year). There are thus approximately 192 undergraduate students in attendance during the school year. The Omaha campus also has graduate students in the master’s, PhD, and DNP programs who utilize the LRC.
Details of the Omaha LRC:
|Number of square feet available for student use:||computer lab: 1081
hospital and skills labs: 5021
|Number of skills labs:||6-bed hospital lab with classroom
2 12-exam table health assessment rooms
2 clinical skills classrooms
|Number of simulation rooms:||All simulation rooms include a high-fidelity manikin
2 med/surg simulation rooms
1 community health simulation room
1 ICU simulation room
1 labor and delivery simulation room
1 pediatric simulation room
1 high-tech debriefing room
|Number of human patient simulators:||4 adult high-fidelity simulators
1 adult birthing high-fidelity simulator
1 pediatric high-fidelity simulator
1 newborn high-fidelity simulator
6 adult VitalSim mid-fidelity simulator
1 child and 1 baby VitalSim mid-fidelity simulator
1 heart and lung simulator (Student Auscultation Manikin)
|Number of computers in student lab:||28 computers in the College of Nursing building computer lab, with additional computers on the 3rd floor of the Center for Nursing Science building.
Wireless Internet access is available via the UNMC guest network
Equipment available to students:
- Audiovisual library: DVDs, CDs, health care books related to nursing education
- Nursing equipment: Blood pressure cuffs, neurological kits, otoscope/ophthalmoscope, visual aids for teaching, GloGerm, and more.
- Computer equipment: Student computer lab has 28 computers with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 10 software, located in building CON room 3009. There are also computers for nursing student use in the Center for Nursing Science building.
UNMC College of Nursing
Learning Resource Center
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
Physical Location: 4111 Dewey Avenue, Omaha, Nebraska
Interactive Map of Omaha Campus
Phone: (402) 559-2476
LRC hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Computer lab hours: Available 24/7 with student ID access
Acting Director: Marge Kaiser, PhD, RN
Learning Resource Technology Coordinator: Jami Monico, MS, Ed
LRC Associate: Debbi Lee