Students will be selected from a pool of qualified applicants meeting the following requirements:
- Masters degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE-accredited school
- BSN degree from an ACEN or CCNE-accredited school for BSN to PhD applicants
- Statement of educational and professional goals and area of research interest (The statement should be typed, double-spaced, and no longer than three pages.)
- A current curriculum vitae
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A minimum grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in masters program; BSN to PhD students must have undergraduate GPA of 3.2.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for BSN-PhD applicants and will be waived for MSN-PhD applicants with a MSN GPA of 3.2 or above.
- Three letters of recommendation preferably from persons holding a doctorate:
* Two academic references, including one reference describing your research
ability from the program where you obtained your masters degree
* One professional performance reference
- Two examples of scholarly writing such as:
* Published research paper. If a co-authored publication, please include
a statement detailing your percent of responsibility for work written
* Other published work
* A research project or thesis from your master's program.
- An interview with the doctoral faculty members whose research interests match yours and at least one member of the doctoral subcommittee of the Graduate committee. A telephone conference can be arranged if you are a distance student.
- A research interest in which UNMC faculty have expertise.
- Background check and disclosure statement
- Application fee
Additional Requirements for International Students
- TOEFL scores with a minimum requirement of 213 on computer-based test or 80 on internet-based test
- Foreign citizens not legally licensed to practice nursing in the United States shall provide evidence that they:
- Have the equivalent of a baccalaureate degree in nursing.
- Are eligible to practice nursing in their foreign country of residence.
- To obtain a student visa, the prospective student must present evidence of adequate financial resources for the total period of study.
Qualified applicants, will be interviewed by the Director of the PhD program and members of the Doctoral Program Committee of the Graduate Committee. Final selections will be made from the pool of qualified applicants based on a match of career and research goals with program resources.