APPLY TO ONE PROGRAM ONLY
Applicants complete an online application and provide supplemental materials in support of the application for program admission. The online application is completed through the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). Applicants are responsible to ensure that the application is submitted by the published deadline and that all required documents are received in a timely manner. Applications and supplemental materials received by the published deadlines will be given full consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Upon receipt of the completed application, all application and supplemental materials become the property of UNMC CON.
On the NursingCAS application, you will be asked to enter demographic information, list all college coursework completed, as well as employment and other related information. We suggest that you start and complete your application as early as possible. To assist in completing your application, you will find it helpful to have copies of:
- your college transcripts listing all undergraduate and graduate coursework taken
- your resume/vitae
- the names and contact information of three professional references including their email addresses
The NursingCAS application allows you to actively monitor the progress of your application and the receipt of supplemental materials such as references. We encourage you to check your application often and to follow up as necessary to assure that all items are received in a timely manner.
The application fee to apply to UNMC is charged by and paid to NursingCAS. You will need to have a credit card for payment.
- E-mail— When you create your NursingCAS account, you will list an e-mail address. Be sure to manage your email account so that you receive emails from both NursingCAS and from UNMC. Check your e-mail frequently during the application period as that will be the primary form of communication from the college.
- Program Designation— You may apply to only one program/specialty. Please take time to research the different degrees and specialties to decide which degree and/or specialty will fit your professional goals. We are glad to discuss this area with you.
- References— You are required to provide 3 professional references. Only electronic references will be accepted. Please select the electronic option on the NursingCAS application form. You must be able to supply accurate email addresses for all three recommenders. They will receive and return the reference form electronically to NursingCAS. Suggested references may include faculty from your former nursing program, a manager from your current employer, or other professionals who have knowledge of your professional and academic capabilities.
- Personal Statement— Each applicant is asked to compose and then upload a Personal Statement to their NursingCAS application. The questions to be answered are specific to each program and are available on the NursingCAS application.
- Resume/CV – You are asked to upload your most current Resume/CV.
- Publications/sample of written work –PhD program applicants are asked to upload examples of written work to include published research, an excerpt of a research project, or thesis from your previous master’s program. If you submit a co-authored publication, please include a statement detailing your percent of responsibility for work written.
UNMC Supplemental Application – MSN/PMC, and DNP Only
The Supplemental UNMC CON Application will be sent to you by e-mail after you have completed and submitted the NursingCAS application. You will be asked to enter your Social Security number and respond to a few additional questions. There is a fee charged by UNMC for the supplemental application. You will need to have a credit card for payment.
Evaluation and Selection Process
Upon review of the application and all documents, the most highly qualified applicants from the overall pool will be invited for an interview. Final selections will be made based on a match of career goals with program resources.
Applicants who are offered and accept admission to a UNMC College of Nursing program are admitted pending final submission of items that will be requested. Such items will include:
- proof of current health immunizations as outlined by UNMC Student Health
- a criminal history and abuse/neglect background check
- proof of a current unencumbered RN license
- a copy of a current BLS certification
- completion of UNMC required compliance trainings
The offer of admission will be withdrawn for students who do not comply with all enrollment criteria by the required deadline.
The online application along with full directions for completion can be found at: NursingCAS