Certificate in Perioperative Nursing
This program is designed to prepare nurses to work in the perioperative environment and will assist graduates to transition to institutional OR settings with greater ease and efficiency.
- Nurses will learn the scrub and circulating nursing roles. Focused on teamwork using TeamSTEPPS®, infection-prevention, safety, clinical decision-making, and ethical care & advocacy.
- The program consists of 14 credit hours. It requires lecture attendance and a combined 225 hours of lab, simulation, and supervised clinical experiences.
- Lectures will be held via Zoom, clinicals completed at the nurses chosen hospital, and lecture/labs scheduled at the OR Simulation Center in the Davis Global Center on the UNMC Omaha campus.
- Program length: May 9, 2022 through August 14, 2022
- Required lecture/lab dates in Omaha:
- June 2-3, 2022
- June 16-17, 2022
- June 30-July 1, 2022
- July 7-8, 2022
- NRSG 460 Principles of Perioperative Patient Centered Care (3 credits)
- NRSG 461 Concept: Infection Control and Asepsis (2 credits)
- NRSG 462 Concept: Safety and Risk Management (2 credits)
- NRSG 463 The Scrub Role of the Perioperative Nurse (4 credits)
- NRSG 464 The Circulating Role of the Perioperative Nurse (2 credits)
- NRSG 465 The Management Role of the Perioperative Nurse (1 credit)
- Tuition is $378/credit hour plus lab fees, books and supplies.
- Candidates may qualify for partial or full funding or program cost through their employer.
- This program is not financial aid eligible.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in nursing with a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Nursing license is not needed at time of enrollment; certificate can be held and awarded at time of licensure.