University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Northern Division
801 E. Benjamin Avenue
Norfolk, NE 68701
- 1986, BSN, Midland Lutheran College, Fremont, NE
- 2005, MSN, Nebraska Wesleyan University, Lincoln
- 2021, EdD, Bryan College of Health Sciences, Lincoln
Cathy Tierney completed her Doctor of Education at Bryan College of Health Sciences in 2021. Her dissertation topic sought to discover how traditional nursing programs incorporate self-care practices into the student nurse experience. She has extensive experience using complementary modalities to promote self-care and holistic wellness, and has practiced as a certified hypnotherapist and healing touch practitioner. Her passion (research interests) includes self-care and holistic well-being in higher education (faculty/students), and investigating resilience and holistic well-being using mindfulness, hypnosis, healing touch, and meditation.
Dr. Tierney believes building relationships are paramount to student retention and success, and works closely with students to identify their areas of opportunities and strategies for success. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with family, reading, writing, bicycling, and spending time in nature.
- Self-care and holistic well-being in higher education (faculty/students)/li>
- Investigating resilience and holistic well-being using mindfulness, hypnosis, healing touch, and meditation.
- Incorporating self-care practices into the student nurse experience.
2017, UNMC, Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award