University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
College of Nursing - Omaha Division
985330 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5330
- 1979, BSN, UNMC
- 1983, MSN, UNMC
- 1989, PhD, University of Washington
*Vander Weg, Holman, Rahman, Sarrazin, Hillis, Fu, Grant, Prochazka, Adams S., Gattaglia, Buchanan, L., Tinkelman, Katz D. (2017). Implementing smoking cessation guidelines for hospitalized veterans: cessation results from the VA-BEST Trial. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2017.03.0150740-5472/© 2017 Published by Elsevier Inc. June 2017.
* Katz, D, Holman, J, Johnson S, Hillis S, Adams S, Fu S., Grant, K, Buchanan, L, Prochazka A, Battaglia, C, Titler, M, Joseph A, Vander Weg M (2014). Implementing best evidence in smoking cessation treatment for hospitalized veterans. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. November 2014: Volume 40, Number 11.
*Katz, D., Holman, J., Johnson, S., Hillis, S., Fu, S., Grant, K., et al. (2013). Implementing smoking cessation guidelines for hospitalized veterans: Effects on nurse attitudes and performance. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 28, 1420–1429. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11606-013-2464-7.
*Kotcherlakota, S. & Buchanan, L. (2012). Teaching a clinical skills course using web conferencing technology: a pilot study of student satisfaction. Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education 2012, 539-544. http://www.editlib.org/p/39626.
* Buchanan, L. (2010). Random controlled trial: nicotine patch plus lozenge gives greatest increases in abstinence from smoking at 6 months compared with placebo; smaller effects seen with nicotine patch alone, bupropion or nicotine lozenges alone or combined. Evidence Based Nursing Journal, 13 (2), 50-51.
* Buchanan, L, Khazanchi, D. (2010). A PDA intervention to sustain smoking cessation in clients with socioeconomic vulnerability. Western Journal of Nursing Research (32) 3, 281-304.
*Katz, D, Vander Weg M, Fu S, Prochaxka, A, Grant K, Buchanan L., Tinkelman D, Reisinger H, Brooks, J, Hillis S, Joseph A, Titler M. (2009). A before-after implementation trial of smoking cessation guidelines in hospitalized veterans. Implementation Science, 10:58, dol: 10.1186/1748-5908-4-58. (available from : http://www.implementation science.com/content/4/1/58). http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-4-58.
* Buchanan, L. (2008). Evidence-based practice to assist women in hospital settings to quit smoking and reduce cardiovascular disease risk. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing (23) 5, 397-406.
Buchanan, L. (2005). Commentary by Buchanan. Western Journal of Nursing Research. (27), 1-3.
* Buchanan, L., El-Banna, M., White, A., Moses, S., Siedlik, C., Wood, M. (2004). An exploratory study of multicomponent treatment intervention for tobacco dependency. Image, Journal of Nursing Scholarship, (36) 4, 324-330.
Buchanan, L. (2003). Smoking, quitting, and relapse in surgical patients: a simple clinic based smoking cessation that works. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (3) 1, 808-812.
* Buchanan, L. (2002). Implementing a smoking cessation program for pregnant women based on current clinical practice guidelines. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners,(4) 6, 243-250.
*Buchanan, L., Voigtman, J., & Mills, H. (1997, February). Implementing the agency for health care policy and research pain management pediatric guideline in a multicultural practice setting. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, (11) 3, 23-35.
*Buchanan, L. (1996). Nurse practitioners in acute care service roles: A comparison study of patient outcomes. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, (8) 1, 13-19.
*Buchanan, L. (1994). Therapeutic nursing intervention knowledge development and outcome measures for advanced practice. Nursing & Health Care, (15) 4, 190-195.
*Buchanan, L., Cowan, M., Burr, R., Kogan, h., Waldron, C. (1993, March/April). Measurement of recovery to acute myocardial infarction using heart rate variability and cognitive-affective outcomes. Nursing Research, (42) 2, 74-78.
*Cowan, M., Nakagawa-Kogan, H., Burr, R., Hendershot, S., & Buchanan, L. (1990). Power spectral analysis of heart rate variability after biofeedback training. Journal of Electrocardiology, (23)(Supplement), 85-94.
*Buchanan, L., & Baun, M. (1986). The effects of hyperinflation, inspiratory hold, and oxygenation on cardiopulmonary status. Heart & Lung, (15) 2, 127-134.