Gisele Tlusty is an MSN to PhD student at UNMC’s College of Nursing. She is also a Graduate Research Assistant for Dr. Windy Alonso.
- Current credentials and degrees: BSN (UNC Charlotte 2010), MSN Nurse Educator (Nebraska Methodist College 2018)
- Hometown: Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Title and department at UNMC/Nebraska Medicine: PhD student/Graduate Assistant
- Twitter handle: @RNGisele
My research focus is on exploring the role of physical activity for patients diagnosed with hematological malignancies undergoing treatment for bone marrow transplantation. As a nursing instructor, I enjoy facilitating memorable oncology clinical experiences for students, inspiring the next generation of nurses to explore this rewarding specialty in their future.
Why I chose a PhD in nursing:
I became interested in nursing research while working on a project as a nurse in the Special Care Unity at Nebraska Medicine. In my research to develop an incentive-based walking program to improve outcomes in our bone marrow transplant recipients, I discovered very few studies exploring physical activity in this patient population. I had the opportunity to speak about the walking program at the Oncology Nursing Society Congress in 2019, where I met several nurse scientists and learned about their influential work. I enrolled in the PhD program at UNMC last fall to develop the skills necessary to pursue a career in nursing research and contribute to the oncology nursing field.
What I like about UNMC:
I have excellent professors and mentors at UNMC. Everyone I have met here has been invested in my success and has helped me with anything I have needed from day one. My classmates have become close friends and continue to be a great support system. I love the welcoming environment at UNMC, which makes it easy for me to take advantage of the many opportunities for growth available on campus.
Oncology Nursing Society, Midwest Nursing Research Society.
Three things people may not know about me:
- I’ve run nine marathons, including Chicago and Boston.
- My first language is Portuguese. I learned English in three months when I was nine years old, thanks to my excellent ESL teacher!
- I’m an avid birder. I have my binoculars with me wherever I go.