Jed Hansen is a BSN to PhD student in UNMC’s College of Nursing. He is also a Graduate Research Assistant for Drs. Kathy Hanna and Kate Fiandt.
- Current credentials and degrees: BSN, RN + BS in Finance and Business Administration
- Hometown: Omaha (but, originally from Minden, NE)
- Title and department at UNMC/Nebraska Medicine: Ph.D. Student & Research Assistant
- Twitter handle: @jed_hansen
Research/professional interests: I am interested in access to care and the reasons behind the choices individuals make to seek or delay care. I also enjoy research on rural health and rural health systems.
Why I chose a PhD in nursing: I want to be able to change healthcare for the better. Having a Ph.D. offers the most opportunity to lead in efforts on access and rural health. You can read more about why I chose a Ph.D. in my article here: https://t.co/LwfWDnTlBD?amp=1
What I like about UNMC: The faculty at UNMC CON have been amazing. I have learned so much from so many. As a student, I have had the opportunity to publish academic articles, volunteer in the community, and present my work at the national level. The opportunities have been nearly endless.
- National Rural Health Association
- Nebraska Rural Health Association (Board member)
- American Nurses Association
- Nebraska Nurses Association
- Nebraska Organization of Nurse Leaders
- UNMC Rural Health Task Force (Invited member)
Three things people may not know about me:
- I have been to all 93 counties and all but 1 hospital in the State of Nebraska through my previous work.
- I really enjoy sports! I have a hole-in-one, I am an avid cyclist, and I watched a perfect game (live) at a professional baseball game.
- I was blessed by a holy man while diving in a cenote (natural water cavern) in Mexico