Rachel Kunkle is a BSN to PhD student in UNMC’s College of Nursing. She is also a Graduate Research Assistant for Dr. Claudia Chaperon.
- Current credentials and degrees: BSN, RN
- Hometown: Elkhorn, Nebraska
- Title and department at UNMC/Nebraska Medicine: PhD Student with the College of Graduate Studies/College of Nursing
- Twitter handle: @RaeTheRN
Rachel has recently assisted in the development of modules, guided by the CDC, focusing on infection prevention and control education and guidelines with suggested guidance related to COVID-19 positive residents for the two nursing home partners as a Graduate Research Assistant under Dr. Claudia Chaperon.
Research/professional interests: I am interested in formal caregiver burden among direct care staff in nursing homes. I want to know what burden is, how to measure it effectively and it's impact on patient care and patient safety.
How I fell in love with gerontology: I have worked in long-term care since I was 15. I learned very early the lessons learned from listening to the older adults are immensely important. They became my family. I could say that my love for gerontology started early as both of my parents worked in nursing home since I was born. They would bring me to the nursing home to visit "my grandparents" when I was a toddler. This continued throughout my childhood as we (my brothers and sisters) would volunteer in the local nursing homes. We would play BINGO, have popcorn parties and assist with the weekly church services. This love guided my career decisions and I have spent the majority of my career in long-term care.
Why I chose a PhD in nursing: I chose a PhD in nursing as it would provide me the opportunity to influence nursing practice and the care of older adults as well as influence policy and decision making in long-term care.
What I like about UNMC: What I love most about UNMC is the faculty. They care so much about their students and have a desire for them to succeed in their careers. Their mentorship is invaluable!
Bachelor of Science in Health Care Business Administration, Clarkson College, Omaha, Nebraska, 2007.
Master of Science in Health Care Business, Clarkson College, Omaha, Nebraska, 2009.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Clarkson College, Omaha, Nebraska, 2015.
Midwest Nursing Research Society
Gerontological Society of America
American Nursing Association
Nebraska Nursing Association
The American Geriatrics Society
Three things people may not know about me:
- I play the clarinet and sing Soprano in choir. I actually toured Europe in high school with a band from Nebraska playing my clarinet and singing in several countries!
- I am the oldest of six children. I come from a big family and have a lot of cousins!
- I am a history nerd and love learning about the American Revolution, Civil War and World War I and II.