Heather Ramsey, certified nurse-midwife, joined the department on February 1, 2022. She is a provider established in Nebraska with more than 26 years of experience.
Three new physicians joined the department in July and August 2021:
- Melissa (Mel) Mathes, MD, joined the department on July 19th as an assistant professor in general obstetrics and gynecology. Dr. Mathes recently completed her OB-GYN residency at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- Mary Kinyoun, MD, joined us in August. She is an assistant professor in general obstetrics and gynecology. Dr. Kinyoun recently completed her OB-GYN residency in Denver, Colorado.
- Andreea Newtson, MD, also recently joined the department. Dr. Newtson is an assistant professor and her specialty is gynecologic oncology. She recently completed a fellowship in Iowa City.
|The OB-GYN residents participated in the annual Resident Research Day on June 2, 2021. More information may be found on this page.|
April 27, 2021: Faculty Updates
Pediatric Gynecologist: Abigail Drucker, MD, began working as an assistant professor for the Department of OB-GYN in February 2021. She sees patients at Children's Hospital. For appointments, please call 402-955-4001.
New residency program director: Laura Cudzilo, MD, assistant professor, starts this role in June 2021. Previously, Dr. Cudzilo was the clerkship program director.
New clerkship program director: Amie Hollard, MD, associate professor, has started in this role as of April 1, 2021. She is a maternal-fetal medicine specialist with several years of experience.
Vice-Chair for Education: Karen Carlson, MD, associate professor, has started in this newly-created role with the department. In this role, she will provide additional oversight of our medical student programs, community education, and instructional design.
New Midwife: Elisha McDunn, APRN-CNM, recently joined the staff as a midwife. She graduated from the Frontier University midwifery school with a master's degree in December 2020.
Upcoming faculty additions:
Mary Kinyoun, MD, a general obstetrician/gynecologist, will join the department in August 2021 after completing a residency at the University of Colorado.
Melissa Mathes, MD, will join the general OB-GYN group in July 2021, after completing her residency with us.
Victoria Maclin, MD, with Heartland Center for Reproductive Medicine will retire in July and Elizabeth Constance, MD, will become an assistant professor with the department at that time.
Andreea Newtson, MD, will complete her fellowship in gynecologic oncology at Iowa University and will join us July 31st as a new member of our faculty.
April 20, 2021: Dr. Kathryn Hutchins gave a lecture on the topic of irritable bowel syndrome in women and that video recording is available on this Olson Center Resource Center page. A new topic is introduced the third Tuesday of every month, September - May, each year through the Resource Center.
March 30, 2021: Four new physicians have been accepted into the residency program. We are excited to welcome:
- Ahna Buntrock, MD, from the University of South Dakota
- David Greiner, MD, from Saint Louis University
- Kaitlin Hehnke, MD, from UNMC
- Morgan Steffen, DO, from Des Moines University
January 29, 2021: John S. Davis, PhD, Director of Research and Development at the Olson Center for Women's Health, has been named one of fifteen scientists world-wide to receive the inaugural Distinguished Fellow award from the Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR) and the criteria for this award is:
Distinguished Fellowship criteria include publishing a significant body of research in reproductive biology with transformative and enduring impact in the field, and 15 years of uninterrupted regular membership in SSR. Distinguished Fellows must also have a strong academic legacy with mentorship, as well as demonstrating leadership and service to SSR.
Congratulations to Dr. Davis on this prestigious award!
January 29, 2021: From Carl V. Smith, MD, Dept. of Ob/Gyn Chair
I would like to announce some leadership changes within the department of Ob/Gyn and the Olson Center:
- Sonja Kinney has resigned, effective April 2021. She has moved to the east coast to re-join her family. Dr. Kinney has been an exceptional clinician, educator, and leader in our department for a number of years, starting here initially in 2001. In addition to Director of the Division of General Ob/Gyn, she’s also been our Medical Director for the Olson clinics, the medical liaison for the midwifery program, and a OneChart Physician Leader. On top of a very busy clinical practice, Dr. Kinney also found time to be Nebraska Medicine’s Medical Director for Access. We know that Dr. Kinney will be successful in all that she undertakes, and we wish her all the best in her future endeavors. I want to publicly thank her for her significant contribution to our department’s success over the past 20 years!
- In order to fill those leadership positions vacated by Dr. Kinney, we have confirmation of the following new appointments:
- Medical Director of the Olson Clinics, and Division Director-General Obstetrics and Gynecology: Dr. Jennifer Griffin will take the reins for both of these roles.
- Residency Program Director: Dr. Laura Cudzilo has agreed to take this important role, succeeding Dr. Griffin.
- Clerkship Director: Dr. Amie Hollard will take over for Dr. Cudzilo.
- Midwife Medical Director: Dr. Karen Carlson has agreed to take on this role.
- We have created a new position within the department: Vice-Chair for Education. Exact duties and responsibilities for this new position are still a work-in-progress, so more to follow on that.
Dr. Karen Carlson has agreed to be the inaugural holder of this new leadership position. She has several years of leadership involvement with our medical student programs, and as clerkship director helped completely transform our student evaluation ratings. She also was a College of Medicine leader in designing and implementing sweeping curriculum change over the past few years.
I wish to thank these four doctors for agreeing to take on these new roles, and appreciate everyone’s cooperation as we transition over the next few months!