Director: So-Youn Kim, PhD
Fertility and normal endocrine function and homeostasis in women’s bodies through healthy ovaries are the main focuses of the Kim laboratory. Our goal is to understand reproductive physiology and pathology to improve the quality of life of cancer patients. Current topics of investigation include elucidating the pathways of oocyte death by genotoxic agents and developing fertoprotective agents, understanding the etiology of granulosa cell tumors, and exploring the role of activin A in progression of cancer cachexia.
Lab Members | Publications | Grants | News
So-Youn Kim, PhD
|Sean Yu, PhD|
|Pauline C. Xu
|Maya Eldani||Wend Kuni Rodrigue Ouedraogo
- Eldani M, Luan Y, Xu PC, Barger T, Kim SY. Continuous treatment with low-dose cisplatin induces the oocyte death of primordial follicles without activation. The FASEB Journal 2020 Aug 23. (PMID: 32830364)
- Kim SY, Gross J, Gondi V, Pankuch M, Wagner S, Grover A, Woodruff TK. The role of proton therapy to preserve ovarian function and reserve in mice. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2020 Aug 3:S0360-3016(20)33739-1 (PMID: 32758642)
- Cho GJ, Kim SY, Lee HC, Kim HY, Lee KM, Han SW,Oh MJ, Woodruff TK. Association between dental caries and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Scientific Reports 2020 Mar 24;10 (1):5309 (PMID: 32210330)
- Fan R, Kim J, You M, Giraud D, Toney A, Shin SH, Kim SY, Brokowski K, Newman J, Chung SK. Alpha-linolenic acid-enriched butter attenuates inflammation and insulin resistance by promoting the endogenous synthesis of long-chain n-3 PUFA and anti-inflammatory oxylipins. J Nutr Biochem 2019 Nov 12;76:108285 (PMID: 31760228)
- Kim SY, Cho GJ, Davis JS. Consequences of chemotherapeutic agents on primordial follicles and future clinical application. Obstet & Gynecol Sci 2019 Nov;62(6):382-390 (Corresponding author) (PMID: 31777733)
- Lee JW, Lee HC, Kim SY, Woodruff TK. Poorly-controlled type I diabetes mellitus causes ovarian dysfunction in various mouse models. Yonsei Med Journal 2019 Jul;60(7):667-678
- Cho GJ, Kim SY, Lee HC, Lee KM, Han SW, Oh MJ, Woodruff TK. The risk of adverse obstetric outcomes and the abnormal growth of offspring in women with a history of thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2019 Apr (PMID: 30957663)
- Luan Y, Edmonds ME, Woodruff TK, Kim SY. Inhibitors of apoptosis protect the ovarian reserve from cyclophosphamide. J of Endocrinol. 2019 Feb 1;240(2):243-256. (Corresponding author) (PMID: 30530902)
- Kim SY, Nair, D, Romero MM, Serna VA, Koleske AJ, Woodruff TK, Kurita T. Transient inhibition of p53 homologs protects ovarian function from two distinct apoptotic pathways triggered by anticancer therapies. Cell Death Differ 2018 July (Corresponding author) (PMID:29988075)
- Kim SY and Kurita T. New Insights into the Role of Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase Activity in the Physiology of Immature Oocytes: lessons from Recent Mouse Model Studies. European Medical Journal. 2018 Jun:3(2):119-125 (Corresponding author) (PMID: 30245862)
- Dr. Sean (Seok-Yeong) Yu joined the Kim lab as a postdoc from University of Massachusetts Amherst, February 2021.
- Pauline Xu was awarded a UNMC Assistantship/Fellowship (2021).
- Pauline Xu’s poster was selected for an oral presentation at the 52nd Annual Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum (MSBRF) 2021 (Feb.27)
- Yi's abstract was selected for an Endocrine Society Outstanding Abstract Award in The Endocrine Society (ENDO 2021).
- Pauline C. Xu’s poster was selected for Trainee Oral Presentation at 2020 Virtual Greenwald Symposium (Oct.08)
- First place for poster competition in the 2020 CHRI Pediatric Research Forum (Pauline Xu)
- Pauline C. Xu’s poster was selected for an Oral Presentation at Midwest Student Biomedial Research Forum, Creighton University, Omaha, Feb. 22. 2020
- Pauline C. Xu’s poster was selected for a Trainee Elevator Pitch at Greenwald Symposium (Nov.7th)