Director: So-Youn Kim, PhD
Fertility and normal endocrine function and homeostasis in women’s bodies through healthy ovaries are the main focuses of the Kim laboratory. Our goal is to understand reproductive physiology and pathology to improve the quality of life of cancer patients. Current topics of investigation include elucidating the pathways of oocyte death by genotoxic agents and developing fertoprotective agents, understanding the etiology of granulosa cell tumors, and exploring the role of activin A in progression of cancer cachexia.
Lab Members | Publications | Grants | News
|So-Youn Kim, PhD
Amirhossein Abazarikia, PhD
Ibrahim Elesh, PhD
Seok-Yeong Yu, PhD
|Rosemary Dong, BS
|Macy Thonen, BS
|Maya Eldani||Wend Kuni Rodrigue Ouedraogo
||Pauline C. Xu|
|Pauline C. Xu defended her thesis on
|Welcome to new lab members Rosemary
and Dr. Abazarikia
- Du Y, Carranza Z, Luan Y, Busman-Sahay K, Wolf S, Campbell SP, Kim SY, Pejovic T, Estes JD, Zelinski M, Xu J. Evidence of cancer therapy-induced chronic inflammation in the ovary across multiple species: a potential cause of persistent tissue damage and follicle depletion. J of Reprod. Immunol. 2022 (PMID: 3517661).
- Xu PC, You M, Yu SY, Luan Y, Eldani M, Caffrey TC, Grandgenett PM, O’Connell KA, Shukla SK, Kattamuri C, Hollingsworth MA, Singh PK, Thompson TB, Chung S, Kim SY. Visceral adipose tissue remodeling in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cachexia: the role of activin A signaling. Scientific Reports 2022 (PMID: 35102236).
- Luan Y, Zhang Y, Yu SY, You MK, Xu PC, Chung SK, Kurita T, Zhu J, Kim SY. Development of ovarian tumor causes significant loss of muscle and adipose tissue: a novel mouse model for cancer cachexia study. J Cachexia Sarpopenia Muscle 2021 (PMID: 35044098).
- Xu P, Luan Y, Yu SY, Xu J, Coulter DW, Kim SY. Effects of PD-1 blockade on ovarian follicles in a prepubertal female mouse. J Endocrinol. 2021 (PMID:34647523).
- Luan Y, Xu P, Yu SY, Kim SY. The Role of Mutant p63 in Female Fertility. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Aug 20;22(16):8968 (PMID: 34445673).
- Eldani M, Luan Y, Xu PC, Barger T, Kim SY. Continuous treatment with low-dose cisplatin induces the oocyte death of primordial follicles without activation. The FASEB Journal 2020 Aug 23. (PMID: 32830364).
- Kim SY, Gross J, Gondi V, Pankuch M, Wagner S, Grover A, Woodruff TK. The role of proton therapy to preserve ovarian function and reserve in mice. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2020 Aug 3:S0360-3016(20)33739-1 (PMID: 32758642).
- Cho GJ, Kim SY, Lee HC, Kim HY, Lee KM, Han SW,Oh MJ, Woodruff TK. Association between dental caries and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Scientific Reports 2020 Mar 24;10 (1):5309 (PMID: 32210330).
- Fan R, Kim J, You M, Giraud D, Toney A, Shin SH, Kim SY, Brokowski K, Newman J, Chung SK. Alpha-linolenic acid-enriched butter attenuates inflammation and insulin resistance by promoting the endogenous synthesis of long-chain n-3 PUFA and anti-inflammatory oxylipins. J Nutr Biochem 2019 Nov 12;76:108285 (PMID: 31760228).
- Kim SY, Cho GJ, Davis JS. Consequences of chemotherapeutic agents on primordial follicles and future clinical application. Obstet & Gynecol Sci 2019 Nov;62(6):382-390 (Corresponding author) (PMID: 31777733).
- Lee JW, Lee HC, Kim SY, Woodruff TK. Poorly-controlled type I diabetes mellitus causes ovarian dysfunction in various mouse models. Yonsei Med Journal 2019 Jul;60(7):667-678.
- Cho GJ, Kim SY, Lee HC, Lee KM, Han SW, Oh MJ, Woodruff TK. The risk of adverse obstetric outcomes and the abnormal growth of offspring in women with a history of thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2019 Apr (PMID: 30957663).
- Luan Y, Edmonds ME, Woodruff TK, Kim SY. Inhibitors of apoptosis protect the ovarian reserve from cyclophosphamide. J of Endocrinol. 2019 Feb 1;240(2):243-256. (Corresponding author) (PMID: 30530902).
- Kim SY, Nair, D, Romero MM, Serna VA, Koleske AJ, Woodruff TK, Kurita T. Transient inhibition of p53 homologs protects ovarian function from two distinct apoptotic pathways triggered by anticancer therapies. Cell Death Differ 2018 July (Corresponding author) (PMID:29988075).
- Kim SY and Kurita T. New Insights into the Role of Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase Activity in the Physiology of Immature Oocytes: lessons from Recent Mouse Model Studies. European Medical Journal. 2018 Jun:3(2):119-125 (Corresponding author) (PMID: 30245862).
- The Olson Center for Women's Health Grant.
Project Title: Mechanism of overproduction of activin beta A in pancreatic cancer: future direction for cancer cachexia therapy.
Funding Period: 3/1/2020 - 6/30/2022. Role: PI
- Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant.
Project Title: Phosphoinositide kinases are key targets for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
Funding Period: 2/1/2022-1/31/2023. Role: co-PI
- NICHD (R01).
Protect Title: Development of mechanism-based ovarian reserve protecting adjuvant therapies against gonadotoxic therapeutic agents.
Funding Period: 9/09/2019-9/08/2024. Role: PI
Return to top
- Macy Thonen (M1 student at UNMC) has received two awards: 1) 2022 Research Experience for Graduate and Medical Students (REGMS) award from the ENDOCRINE SOCIETY. 2) Medical Student Summer Research Program (MSSRP) award from UNMC.
- Luan Y, Xu PC, Yu SY, Elesh IF, Dong R, Kim SY. Cyclophoshpamide depletes primordial follicles via the p63 apoptotic pathway. ENDO2022. June. 2022 (Selected as an Outstanding Abstract Award in ENDO 2022, Atlanta, GA, Jun11-14).
- Yu SY, Luan Y, Tang S, Elesh IF, Oupicky D, Kim SY. Potential role of activin a during pancreatic acinar-to-ductal metaplasia of orthotopic pancreatic tumor mice. ENDO2022. June. 2022 (Selected as an Outstanding Abstract Award in ENDO 2022, Atlanta, GA, Jun11-14).
- Luan Y, Xu PC, Yu SY, Kim SY. The underlying mechanism of cyclophosphamide-induced oocyte depletion in the ovary. SSR 2021. Dec. St. Louis. (Trainee Travel Award, Society for the Study of Reproductive 54th Annual Meeting in 2021).
- Dr. Amirhossein Abazarikia joined the Kim lab as a postdoctoral fellow from Teheran University, Iran (Feb.1).
- Pauline successfully completed her final oral defense and was awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Jan. 21).
- Rosemary Dong joined the Kim lab as a technologist from Northwestern University, Chicago (Jan. 10).
- Yi Luan was selected for a Trainee Travel Awards at the SSR’s 54th Annual Meeting (Dec. 2021).
- Yi Luan’s poster was selected for an oral presentation at the SSR’s 54th Annual Meeting (Dec. 2021).
- Dr. Seok-Yeong Yu’ was elected as the Postdoctoral Representative to the Council of MSPS.
- Dr. Kim became President-Elect at The Midlands Society of Physiology Sciences in 2022.
- Dr. Seok-Yeong Yu’s poster was awarded for 1st place of Postdoctoral category at The Midlands Society of Physiology Sciences Conference (Oct. 2021).
- Yi Luan’s poster was awarded for 1st place of the Graduate student category at The Midlands Society of Physiology Sciences Conference (Oct. 2021).
- Dr. Seok-Yeong Yu’s poster was selected for an oral presentation at The 18th Annual Gilbert S. Greenwald Symposium on Reproduction and Perinatal Research (Oct. 2021).
- Dr. Ibrahim Elesh joined the Kim lab as a postdoctoral fellow from Damanhour University, Egypt (Oct. 2021).
- Yi's abstract was selected for an Endocrine Society Outstanding Abstract Award in The Endocrine Society (Mar. 2021).
- Pauline Xu’s poster was selected for an oral presentation at the 52nd Annual Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum (MSBRF) 2021 (Feb. 2021).
- Pauline Xu was awarded a UNMC Assistantship/Fellowship (2021).
- Dr. Sean (Seok-Yeong) Yu joined the Kim lab as a postdoc from the University of Massachusetts Amherst (Feb. 2021).
- Pauline C. Xu’s poster was selected for Trainee Oral Presentation at 2020 Virtual Greenwald Symposium (Oct.08)
- First place for poster competition in the 2020 CHRI Pediatric Research Forum (Pauline Xu)
- Pauline C. Xu’s poster was selected for an Oral Presentation at Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum, Creighton University, Omaha, Feb. 22. 2020
- Pauline C. Xu’s poster was selected for a Trainee Elevator Pitch at Greenwald Symposium (Nov.7th)