Some of the department's most notable achievements are listed below.
- DNA lab achieved the International Standards Organization (ISO) certification in 2011 through the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board.
- Became major participant in National Strategic Research Institute (NSRI) for projects involving biopreparedness and biodefense. NSRI contract was renewed for 5 years (see article).
- Recruited new faculty with expertise in organisms causing infectious diseases in humans including Chlamydia, Ebola virus, Chikungunya virus, and Malaria.
- Renewed NIH Program Project in Staphylococcus research (see Center for Staphylococcus Research)
- Relocated the Lymphoma and Leukemia research group to the new Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Research Center.
- Launched initiative to encode all cancer pathology synoptic reports using SNOMED CT for the Nebraska Lexicon (see article in news archive).
- Achieved second annual repeat in growth of NIH funding to department researchers.
- Two faculty named to Federal Advisory committees for EPA and CDC.