Being part of such a growing and innovative campus, we can offer our house officers with state-of-the-art facilities and resources. We have a modern gross room that incorporates high tech equipment and skilled technical staff. In our department alone, we have twenty-three primary research laboratories, lead ten shared resource cores across campus, and direct two University of Nebraska-designated research centers. In addition to the departmental library, the McGoogan Health Sciences Library on campus has over 175,000 books and 2,400 journals. These facilities and resources are available for all of our residents to provide them with a varied and extensive training experience.
We annually processes approximately 50,000 surgical specimens, 15,000 cytology specimens, 190 autopsies, 1,400 bone marrow biopsies and over 5 million clinical laboratory tests. More than 500 forensic autopsies are performed at the Douglas County Coroner’s office yearly.
Our department offers a wide array of resources that facilitate residency training. Examples include:
- Centralized training – nearly all rotations occur on the UNMC campus
- State of the art gross room
- Reading rooms for individual and group diagnosis
- Easy access to gross & microscopic photographic equipment
- Extensive regional consultation service with exposure to exceptional material
- In house ancillary and special laboratory services offering hands on experience in techniques and management
- On site cytotechnologist and medical technologist training programs, allowing residents to take advantage of instruction and teaching opportunities
- Personal desk space with semiprivate offices
- Personal computer and microscope for each resident
- Five certified pathology assistants to assist in gross and autopsy pathology education
- Comprehensive, searchable anatomic pathology information system (Co-Path) with extensive on-site block and slide archives.
- VPN access to hospital and anatomic pathology information systems
- Access to ImmunoQuery, Expert Path, Path Primer, and PathDoJo review course (3rd and 4th year residents).