Luwen Wang, PhD
Durham Research Center 3030
985800 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5800
Keywords: Neurodegenerative diseases, Mitochondrial dysfunction, Alzheimer's disease, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
My research interest focuses on studying the contribution of neuronal mitochondria to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), both of which are the most common neuronal disorders characterized by progressive neuron degeneration in brain and/or spinal cord. My previous studies focused on exploring the relationship between mitochondria proteins, such as mitofusin 2 one of regulator of mitochondria fusion, and the mitochondrial dysfunction in neurodegenerative disorders. Although those mitochondrial proteins are aroused widespread interest, to date, the mechanisms responsible to their mutation/dysfunction and mitochondria impairment, as well as their roles in neurodegenerative diseases were still elusive.
For now, I am digging deeply of the potential functions of those mitochondrial proteins in protein aggregation formation and polymer dynamics. The long-term goal of my research will be researching the mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction during protein aggregating in neurons. The final target is slowing down the neurodegeneration and protecting neurons in mitochondrial dysfunction related disorders.
- Wang L, Liu M, Gao J, Smith A, Fujioka H, Liang J, Perry G, Wang X. (2021) Mitochondrial Fusion Suppresses Tau Pathology-Induced Neurodegeneration and Cognitive Decline. J Alzheimers Dis. Pre-press, pp. 1-13, 2021
- Gao, J., Wang, L., Ren, X., Dunn, J., Peters, A., Miyagi, M., Fujioka, H., Zhao, F., Askwith, C., Liang, J. and Wang, X. (2021) Translational regulation in the brain by TDP-43 phase separation. J. Cell Biol. 220(10): e202101019.
- Yan T*, Liang J*, Gao J*, Wang L*, Fujioka H, Zhu X, Wang X. (2020) FAM222A encodes a protein which accumulates in plaques in Alzheimer’s disease. Nature Communications 11 (1), 1-16. *co-first author
- Gao J*, Wang L*, Gao C*, Arakawa H, Perry G, Wang X. (2020) TDP-43 inhibitory peptide alleviates neurodegeneration and memory loss in an APP transgenic mouse model for Alzheimer's disease. BBA-Molecular Basis of Disease 1866 (2020) 165580, *co-first author
- Wang, L., Gao, J., Liu, J., Siedlak, S.L., Torres, S., Fujioka, H., Huntley, M.L., Jiang, Y., Ji, H., Yan, T., Harland, M., Termsarasab, P., Zeng, S., Jiang, Z., Liang, J., Perry, G., Hoppel, C., Zhang, C., Li, H. and Wang, X. (2018) Mitofusion 2 regulates slow axonal transport of calpastatin to prevent programed neuromuscular synaptic elimination in skeletal muscles. Cell Metab. 28 (2) 400-414. e8.
- Wang, W*., Arakawa, H*., Wang, L*., Okolo, O., Siedlak, S.L., Jiang, Y., Gao, J., Xie, F., Petersen, R.B. and Wang, X. (2017) Motor coordination and cognitive dysfunction caused by mutant TDP-43 could be reversed by inhibiting its mitochondrial localization. Mol Ther. 25(1):127-139. *co-first author
- Wang, W*., Wang, L*., Lu, J*., Siedlak, S.L., Fujiok, H., Liang, J., Jiang, S., Ma, X., Zhen, J., Rocha, E.L., Sheng, M., Choi, H., Lerou, P.H., Li, H., and Wang, X. (2016). The Inhibition of TDP-43 Mitochondrial Localization Blocks Its Neuronal Toxicity. Nat Med. 22(8):869-878. *co-first author
- Wang, L., Jiang, N., Fang, O., Leach, L.J., Hu, X. and Luo, Z. (2014) 3' Untranslated regions mediate transcriptional interference between convergent genes both locally and ectopically in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Plos Genet. 2, 10(1):e1004021.