Durham Research Center, 8042
985880 University of Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5880
Immunology, HIV, Leukocytes, microglia, neuroinflammation, HIV-associated dementia.
Methamphetamine (Meth) abuse and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection are two major public health problems worldwide. Ample evidence indicate that the incidence and severity of HIV-1-associated neurocognitive disorders (HAND) increase with concomitant use of Meth. The underlying mechanisms are not fully understood, although Meth abuse and HIV-1 infection each alone can cause brain damage. Aim at elucidating the underlying mechanisms, my current research project studies both individual and synergistic/augment effects of Meth- and HIV glycoprotein 120 (gp120) on rat microglia (and human microglia depending on availability) NLRP3 inflammasome activation, resultant production of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines, consequent neuronal injury and HAND pathogenesis. Whether Meth potentiates gp120-induced IL-1β production in microglia and/or whether NLRP3 inflamasome is involved in Meth-induced potentiation are examined. Specific antagonists are used to dissect out Meth-associated signaling pathways leading to microglia NLRP3 inflammasome activation.
- Liu J, Xu E, Tu G, Liu H, Luo J, Xiong H. (2017) Methamphetamine potentiates HIV-1gp120-induced microglial neurotoxic activity by enhancing microglial outward K+ Mol Cell Neurosci. 82:167-175. PMID:28552341 PMCID:PMC5524377.
- Zhou Y, Liu J, Xiong H. (2017) HIV-1 Glycoprotein 120 Enhancement of N-Methyl-D-Aspartate NMDA Receptor-Mediated Excitatory Postsynaptic Currents: Implications for HIV-1-Associated Neural Injury. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 12(2):314-326. PMID: 28005232.
- Liu H, Liu J, Xu E, Tu G, Guo M, Liang S, Xiong H. (2017) Human immunodeficiency virus protein Tat induces oligodendrocyte injury by enhancing outward K+current conducted by KV1.3. Neurobiol Dis. 97(Pt A):1-10. Neurobiol Dis. 2017 Jan;97(Pt A):1-10. PMID: 27816768.
- Zhao J, Liu J, Xu E, Liu Y, Xie A, Xiong H. ( 2016) dl-3-n-Butylphthalide attenuation of methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity in SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells. Life Sci. 165:16-20. PMID: 27640886.
- Liu H, Xu E, Liu J, Xiong H. (2016) Oligodendrocyte Injury and Pathogenesis of HIV-1-Associated Neurocognitive Disorders. Brain Sci. 2016 Jul 22;6(3).
- Reiner B, Wang W, Liu J, Xiong H. (2016) Platelet-activating factor attenuation of long-term potentiation in rat hippocampal slices via protein tyrosine kinase signaling. Neurosci Lett. 615:83-7.
- Xiong W, Xie J, Liu J, Xiong H. (2014) [HIV-1gp120 injures neurons by alteration of neuronal expressions of NR2B and PSD-95]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi 30(2): 139-42. PMID: 24491052
- Liu H, Liu J, Liang S, Xiong H. (2013) Plasma gelsolin protects HIV-1 gp120-Induced neuronal injury via voltage-gated K+ channel Kv2.1. Mol Cell Neurosci S1044-7431(13): 00101-2. PMID: 24513395
- Liu J, Xu P, Collins C, Liu H, Zhang J, Keblesh JP, Xiong H. (2013) HIV-1 Tat protein increases microglial outward K(+) current and resultant neurotoxic activity. PLoS One 8(5): e64904. PMID: 23738010
- Yang J, Hu D, Xia J, Liu J, Zhang G, Gendelman HE, Boukli NM, Xiong H. (2013) Enhancement of NMDA receptor-mediated excitatory postsynaptic currents by gp120-treated macrophages: implications for HIV-1-associated neuropathology. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 8(4): 921-33. PMID: 23660833