The dedicated researchers of Dr. Byrareddy’s lab, in collaboration with colleagues around the world, are working to understand and fight SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic. Lab research topics of interest include the determination of a mechanism to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 viral replication and new treatment discoveries. The laboratory is currently investigating the pathophysiology of COVID-19 and developing therapeutics to treat/reduce the disease in general. Developments build on previous areas of inquiry and also explore new fields of study. The following publications highlight the lab’s work specific to COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2:
- Devadoss D, Acharya A, Manevski M, Pandey K, Borchert GM, Nair M, Mirsaeidi M, Byrareddy SN, Chand HS. Distinct Mucoinflammatory Phenotype and the Immunomodulatory Long Noncoding Transcripts Associated with SARS-CoV-2 Airway Infection. medRxiv [Preprint]. 2021 May 18:2021.05.13.21257152. doi: 10.1101/2021.05.13.21257152. PMID: 34031668; PMCID: PMC8142670.
- Saccon E, Chen X, Mikaeloff F, Rodriguez JE, Szekely L, Vinhas BS, Krishnan S, Byrareddy SN, Frisan T, Végvári Á, Mirazimi A, Neogi U, Gupta S. Cell-type-resolved quantitative proteomics map of interferon response against SARS-CoV-2. iScience. 2021 May 21;24(5):102420. doi: 10.1016/j.isci.2021.102420. Epub 2021 Apr 20. PMID: 33898942; PMCID: PMC8056843.
- Acharya A, Pandey K, Thurman M, Klug E, Trivedi J, Lorson CL, Singh K, Byrareddy SN. Discovery and in-vitro evaluation of potent SARS-CoV-2 entry inhibitors. bioRxiv [Preprint]. 2021 Apr 2:2021.04.02.438204. doi: 10.1101/2021.04.02.438204. PMID: 33821265; PMCID: PMC8020965.
- Patel RH, Acharya A, Chand HS, Mohan M, Byrareddy SN. Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Coinfection: A Systematic Review of the Literature and Challenges. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2021 Apr;37(4):266-282. doi: 10.1089/AID.2020.0284. Epub 2021 Mar 23. PMID: 33599163; PMCID: PMC8035919.
- Spratt AN, Kannan SR, Woods LT, Weisman GA, Quinn TP, Lorson CL, Sönnerborg A, Byrareddy SN, Singh K. Factors Associated with Emerging and Re-emerging of SARS-CoV-2 Variants. bioRxiv [Preprint]. 2021 Mar 24:2021.03.24.436850. doi: 10.1101/2021.03.24.436850. PMID: 33791700; PMCID: PMC8010727.
- Acharya A, Pandey K, Thurman M, Challagundala KB, Vann KR, Kutateladze TG, Morales GA, Durden DL, Byrareddy SN. Blockade of SARS-CoV-2 infection in vitro by highly potent PI3K-α/mTOR/BRD4 inhibitor. bioRxiv [Preprint]. 2021 Mar 5:2021.03.02.433604. doi: 10.1101/2021.03.02.433604. PMID: 33688653; PMCID: PMC7941624.
- Pathania AS, Prathipati P, Abdul BA, Chava S, Katta SS, Gupta SC, Gangula PR, Pandey MK, Durden DL, Byrareddy SN, Challagundla KB. COVID-19 and Cancer Comorbidity: Therapeutic Opportunities and Challenges. Theranostics. 2021 Jan 1;11(2):731-753. doi: 10.7150/thno.51471. PMID: 33391502; PMCID: PMC7738845.
- Husain A, Byrareddy SN. Rapamycin as a potential repurpose drug candidate for the treatment of COVID-19. Chem Biol Interact. 2020 Nov 1;331:109282. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbi.2020.109282
- Response to “Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of COVID-19 in two Indian states” https://science.sciencemag.org/content/370/6517/691/tab-e-letters Science. 2020 Nov 6: DOI: 10.1126/science.abd7672
- Tiwari R, Mishra AR, Mikaeloff F, Gupta S, Mirazimi A, Byrareddy SN, Neogi U, Nayak D. In silico and In vitro Studies Reveal Complement System Drives Coagulation Cascade in SARS-CoV-2 Pathogenesis. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2020 Nov 11. DOI: 10.1016/j.csbj.2020.11.005
- Pandey K, Acharya A, Mohan M, Ng CL, Reid PS, Byrareddy SN. Animal Models for SARS-CoV-2 research: A Comprehensive Literature Review. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2020 Oct 31. DOI: 10.1111/tbed.13907
- Trivedi, J.; Mohan, M.; Byrareddy, S.N. Drug Repurposing Approaches to Combating Viral Infections. J. Clin. Med. 2020, 9, 3777. https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/11/3777
- Pathania AS, Prathipati P, Abdul BAA, Chava S, Katta SS, Gupta SC, Gangula PR, Pandey MK, Durden DL, Byrareddy SN, Challagundla KB. COVID-19 and Cancer Comorbidity: Therapeutic Opportunities and Challenges. Theranostics 2021; 11(2):731-753. doi:10.7150/thno.51471. Available from https://www.thno.org/v11p0731.htm
- Kannan SR, Spratt AN, Quinn TP, Heng X, Lorson CL, Sönnerborg A, Byrareddy SN, Singh K. Infectivity of SARS-CoV-2: there Is Something More than D614G? J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2020 Sep 15. doi: 10.1007/s11481-020-09954-3. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32930936.
- Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The potential threat of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children during the COVID-19 pandemic. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2020 Sep 8. doi: 10.1111/pai.13361. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32897642.
- Rothan HA, Acharya A, Reid SP, Kumar M, Byrareddy SN. Molecular Aspects of COVID-19 Differential Pathogenesis. Pathogens. 2020 Jul 6;9(7):E538. doi: 10.3390/pathogens9070538. PMID: 32640525.
- Acharya A, Kevadiya BD, Gendelman HE, Byrareddy SN. SARS-CoV-2 Infection Leads to Neurological Dysfunction. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2020 Jun;15(2):167-173. doi: 10.1007/s11481-020-09924-9. Epub 2020 May 23. PMID: 32447746; PMCID: PMC7244399.
- Neogi U, Hill KJ, Ambikan AT, Heng X, Quinn TP, Byrareddy SN, Sönnerborg A, Sarafianos SG, Singh K. Feasibility of Known RNA Polymerase Inhibitors as Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Drugs. Pathogens. 2020 Apr 26;9(5):320. doi: 10.3390/pathogens9050320. PMID: 32357471; PMCID: PMC7281371.
- Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. J Autoimmun. 2020 May;109:102433. doi: 10.1016/j.jaut.2020.102433. Epub 2020 Feb 26. PMID: 32113704; PMCID: PMC7127067.
- Byrareddy SN, Mohan M. SARS-CoV2 induced respiratory distress: Can cannabinoids be added to anti-viral therapies to reduce lung inflammation? Brain Behav Immun. 2020 Jul;87:120-121. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2020.04.079. Epub 2020 Apr 28. PMID: 32360437; PMCID: PMC7187842.
- Singu S, Acharya A, Challagundla KB, Byrareddy SN. Impact of Social determinants of health on the emerging COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. Front Public Health 2020, 8:406. doi=10.3389/fpubh.2020.00406.
- Mishra PK, Tandon R, Byrareddy SN. Diabetes and COVID-19 risk: a miRNA perspective. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2020 Aug 7. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00489.2020. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32762561.
- Patel RH, Acharya A, Mohan M, Byrareddy SN. COVID-19 and AIDS: outcomes from the co-existence of two global pandemics and the importance of chronic antiretroviral therapy. J Med Virol. 2020 Aug 11. doi: 10.1002/jmv.26416. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32779740.
- Olwenyi OA, Dyavar SR, Acharya A, Podany AT, Fletcher CV, Ng CL, Reid SP, Byrareddy SN. Immuno-epidemiology and pathophysiology of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). J Mol Med. 2020 Aug 18. doi.org/10.1007/s00109-020-01961-4
Epidemiology, etiology, pathogenesis, and treatment of COVID-19
News Medical Life Sciences | April 5, 2021
Researchers Identify potent small molecule inhibitors against SARS-CoV-2
India Science Wire | March 22, 2021
Researchers identify drug that can be repurposed to treat COVID-19
NDTV | March 22, 2021
Researchers Identify Drug That Can Be Repurposed To Treat COVID-19
Biospectrum | March 22, 2021
IISER Bhopal, Nebraska University suggest repurposing Rapamycin to treat COVID-19
News Medical Life Sciences | March 4, 2021
Study reveals a small molecule inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection in cells
Newsweek | January 14, 2021
Lockdown Effectiveness Starts with Relief for Everyday Americans
Science Daily | December 21, 2020
Traditional model for disease spread may not work in COVID-19
Times of India | November 16, 2020
"IISER-Bhopal, Nebraska varsity suggest drug for Covid-19"
World Health Organization
COVID-19: Global literature on coronavirus disease
UNMC Newsroom | October 2, 2020
"Paper suggests cause for COVID-19's aftereffects in children"
The Journal of the San Juan Islands | May 25, 2020
"Coronavirus: the known and the unknown"
SciTechDaily | May 11, 2020
"Veterinary Medicine Researcher Identifies Four Possible Treatments for COVID-19"
Business Insider | May 10, 2020
“As the coronavirus case curve flattens, daily deaths may stay high, experts warn”
Sciworthy | March 27, 2020
“COVID-19: What it is, how it works, and what we can do to prevent its spread”
Fatherly | March 20, 2020
A Parent’s Guide to Treating Symptoms of Coronavirus
Medium | April 20, 2020
“A systematic review on COVID-19 — epidemiology, etiology, pathogenesis, and treatment”
Social determinants of health (SDOH) and COVID-19
Physician's Weekly | August 17, 2020
"Impact of Social Determinants of Health on the Emerging COVID-19 Pandemic in the United States"
UNMC Newsroom | July 29, 2020
"Paper highlights COVID-19 disparities"
Cannabinoids, cannabidiol (CBD), and COVID-19
Elements of Green | September 10, 2020
COVID-19 and CBD
Forbes | August 20, 2020
"Synthetic Cannabinoid Drug For Covid-19 Approved For Phase-1 Clinical Trials"
Spectrum Labs | August 6, 2020
“Siddappa Byrareddy, PhD – Can CBD reduce lung inflammation due to COVID-19?”
WBTV (CBS News) | July 18, 2020
"Researchers look into cannabis as a potential COVID-19 treatment"
Whole Foods Magazine | July 10, 2020
"Researchers note potential of CBD as COVID-19 treatment option"
Brendan Bures, Chicago Tribune | July 9, 2020
Chicago Tribune: CBD coronavirus treatment research
The Fresh Toast | July 9, 2020
"Researchers Say CBD Could Provide Vital Treatment For COVID-19"
High Times | July 8, 2020
“Researchers looking at CBD to treat COVID-19 lung inflammation”
iHeart Radio | July 7, 2020
“Cannabis May Reduce Deadly COVID-19 Lung Inflammation”
Forbes | July 6, 2020
"Cannabis may reduce deadly COVID-19 lung inflammation, researchers explain why"
Natural Blaze | July 2020
“Researchers Suggest Cannabis Derived CBD Could Help Reduce Deadly COVID-19 Lung Inflammation”
"Cannabinoids in medicine part 5: Treating COVID-19"
Kurativecbd | May 27, 2020
Could CBD be helpful in the fight against COVID-19?
Novel Treatments For SARS-CoV-2: Starting At The Bench
AOL | July 24, 2020
"Could CBD help fight severe cases of COVID-19?"
Newsy | July 24, 2020
"Could CBD help fight severe cases of COVID-19?"
CBS News | July 18, 2020
"Researchers look into cannabis as a potential COVID-19 treatment"
ABC 7 (Los Angeles, CA) | July 9, 2020
"Scientists researching whether cannabis could help reduce lung inflammation from COVID-19"
- 2021:Invited Speaker, COVID/SARS CoV2 Rapid Research Reports #6, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, July 7-8, 2021.
- 2021: Invited Speaker, COVID-19 workshop, Society of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, April, 9th.
- 2021: Invited Speaker, Veterans Health Administration- VA.gov, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2021: Invited Speaker, University of Tennessee Health Science Center-College of Pharmacy. February.
- 2020: Keynote Speaker, Virology Webinar 2020, International E-Conference on Virology, infectious diseases and COVID-19. December 7-8.
- 2020: Invited Speaker, UNMC College of Medicine Research Retreat, UNMC, November 11-12.
- 2020: Invited Speaker, College of Biological Sciences (CBS), University of California, Davis, October 26.
- 2020: Invited Speaker, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, October 5.
- 2020: Invited Speaker, Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri, September 18.
- 2020: Invited Speaker, CannX: 5th International Medical Cannabis Conference, Tel Aviv on October 26-27.
- 2020: Keynote Speaker, Webinar Symposium on COVID-19, Tirupati Mahaila University, India, May 21.
- Celularity Inc. “Role of placental stem cell-derived natural killer cells (CYNK) against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection”
- 1R21 Supplemental award (Chand PI) “Effects of SARS-CoV-2 Proteins on Airway Mucous Response and Associated LncRNAs
- 5P30 CA036727-33 (Cowen PI) The Buffett Cancer Center administrative supplement on “COVID-19 Antigen Team for Immunotherapy and Monitoring Patient Immune Response”
- Frances E. Lageschulte and Evelyn B. Weese New Frontiers in Medical Research Fund