E-mail: Pawel Ciborowski
Positions and Employment
2014 - present Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), Omaha, NE
2014 - present Professor, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2009 - 2014 Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2009 - 2014 Associate Professor, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2006 - 2017 Director, Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Core Facility, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2004 - 2009 Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2004 - 2009 Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
2003 - present Director of Proteomics Program, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2003 - 2004 Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2001- 2003 Senior Staff Scientist, GlycoTech Corp., Rockville, MD
1998 - 2001 Research Instructor, School of Medicine, Department of Molecular Genetics & Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
1997 - 1998 Core Facility Manager, Protein Chemistry, Department of Molecular Genetics & Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
1994 - 1998 Senior Research Associate, School of Medicine, Department of Molecular Genetics & Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
1991- 1994 Research Associate, University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
1989 - 1990 Visiting Scientist, Institute for Medical Microbiology University of Lund, Lund, Sweden
1986 - 1989 Professor, Department of Bacteriology, National Institute of Hygiene, Warsaw, Poland
- Editorial Board: The Open Proteomics Journal, Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.; The Open Virology Journal – member since 2007; International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine – member since 2011; International Journal of Analytical Chemistry – member since 2012
- Ad hoc reviewer:
- Acta Biochemica and Biophysica Sinica (2014)
- Analytical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry Insights
- Biomedical Chromatography
- BoldFace Editors, Inc.
- Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy
- Cancer Research
- Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology
- Clinical Cancer Research
- Drug Discovery Today
- European Journal of Cancer
- European Journal of Neurology
- Indian Journal of Virology
- Journal of Proteomics
- Journal of Separation Science
- Medical Chemistry Reviews
- Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
- Molecular and Cellular Proteomics
- Molecular Biology Reports
- Neurochemistry International
- Spectrochimica Acta Part A
- The Open Virology Journal
- Tumor Biology
- Co-Editor of Special Issue of Journal of NeuroImmune Pharmacology, 2009
- Annual Midwest Graduate Student Research Competition – judge (2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012).
- Graduate Studies Assistantship Review – UNMC study section member (2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011).
- Ad hoc grant reviewer for the Department of the Army, US Army Research, 2004 and 2007
- Ad hoc grant reviewer for University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, Minority Biomedical
- Ad hoc grant reviewer for National Health Laboratory Services Research Trust Grants, Republic of South Africa, 2007 and 2008
- Ad hoc grant reviewer for Kentucky Science & Engineering Foundation, 2006
- Ad hoc grant reviewer for the Edna Ittner Research Fund, UNMC, 2006
- Ad hoc grant reviewer for Veterans Administration, Office of External Reviews, 2006
- Guest Associate Editor of “Cellular Immunity and Immunotherapy of Cancer”, Supplement to Clinical Cancer Research, 2001, 7(3 Suppl).
V International Congress on Analytical Proteomics 2017
One of the Keynote Speakers -- Pawel Ciborowski, PhD
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS)
- Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF)
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
- US Human Proteome Organization (USHUPO)
- World Human Proteome Organization (HUPO)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- International Society for NeuroVirology (ISNV)
- Society on NeuroImmune Pharmacology (SNIP)
- INBRE Steering Committee, UNMC – member (from 2007 – present)
- Protein Structure Core Facility Internal Advisory Committee – member (from 2003 – 2010)
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Faculty Search Committee, UNMC (2004-2007)
Honors and Awards:
- University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Scientific Retreat, Poster Competition, Third Place. – 1995 European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Travel Grant Awards, for the 70th International Association for Dental Research General Session, Glasgow, Scotland – July, 1-4, 1992
- European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Travel Grant Awards, for the 6th Mediterranean Congress of Chemotherapy, Taormina-Giardini Naxos, Italy – May 22-27,1988
- Upjohn Co. Travel Grant Award, the Third European Congress of Clinical Microbiology, The Hague, The Netherlands - 1986
- Post-doctoral fellowship from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation – 1984
- Group award of the President of the University of Warsaw for an outstanding completion of research project - diploma work for MS degree was a part of this project - 1983
- Award of the Chairman of Scientific Advisory Council of Department of Health and Social Welfare for an outstanding PhD thesis - 1988
Courses for graduate students (team teaching)
- Molecular Structure and Function, Biomedical Research Training Program (BRTP 821),
- Receptors and Cell Signaling (PHARM 901)
- Neuroimmunology (PHARM 922)
Courses for professional students
- Pharmacology for 2nd year medical and pharmacy students Topics: Gene Therapy, Pharmacogenomics, Hematopoietics, and Anticoagulants
- Pharmacology for Physician Assistants Students (Pharm 507) Topics: Hematopoietics, and Anticoagulants
- Pharmacology for Healthcare Professionals (Pharm 470/570) Topics: Antiviral, antifungal, and anitmycobacterial agents
Books and book chapters
- M Wojtkiewicz, K Barnett and P Ciborowski. Protein identification by mass spectrometry: Proteomics. In: Current Laboratory Methods in Neuroscience Research. H Xiong, and HE Gendelman, eds. Springer, Inc. 2012 – invited contributor.
- M. Wojtkiewicz and P Ciborowski. Profiling of HIV proteins in Cerebrospinal Fluid. In: Expression Profiling in Neuroscience. (Y. Karamanos, ed.) Humana press, Inc. 2011.
- G Pottiez, and P Ciborowski. Proteomic Profiling of Cerebrospinal Fluid. In: Expression Profiling in Neuroscience. (Y. Karamanos, ed.) Humana Press, Inc. 2011.
- N Haverland, and P Ciborowski. Protein Profiling of the Brain: Proteomics of Isolated Tissues and Cells. In: Expression Profiling in Neuroscience. (Y. Karamanos, ed.) Humana Press, Inc. 2011.
- G Pottiez, J Wiederin and P Ciborowski. Metabolomics and Proteomics In: NeuroAIDS and Proteomics and neuroAIDS diagnostics. In: The Neurology of AIDS, 3rd. ed, (HE Gendelman and T. Ikezu, eds.), Springer, Inc. 2010.
- W Rozek and P Ciborowski. Bioinformatics – an overview. In: Proteomics and Metabolomics. [in Polish language] A. Kraj and J. Silberring (eds.) Editor: University of Warsaw, Poland, 2010.
- W Rozek and P Ciborowski. Proteomics and Genomics. In: Neuroimmune Pharmacology, (HE Gendelman and T Ikezu, eds.), Springer, Inc. 2008.
- P Ciborowski* and H Ali. Bioinformatics In: Proteomics: Introduction to Methods and Applications. A Kraj and J Silberring (eds.) John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2008. *- corresponding author.
“Biomarkers for the Diagnosis of Cognitive Impairment” H.E. Gendelman, W. Rozek and P. Ciborowski, Docket No. 08014P, Serial No. 61/068,171, Filing Date: March 5, 2008.