E-mail: Howard E. Gendelman
2007-present Head, Carol J. Swarts laboratory for Emerging Neuroscience, University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), Omaha, NE
2004-present Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology
2004-present Margaret R. Larson Professor of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2004-present Professor and Chairman, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, UNMC, Omaha, NE
2003-present Co-Director, Nebraska Center for Virology, UNL/UNMC/Creighton University Consortium
2003-2010 Adjunct Professor, Microbiology and Zoology, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
2000 Adjunct Professor, Neurobiology and J. William Fulbright Research Scholar, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
1998-2004 David T. Purtilo Distinguished Chair of Pathology and Microbiology, UNMC, Omaha, NE
- The American College of Physicians
- The American Medical Association
- The American Society for Neurological Investigation
- The Johns Hopkins Immunology Council
- The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- The Maryland Society of Internal Medicine
- The American Society for Microbiology
- Reticuloendothelial Society
- Clinical Immunology Society
- International Society for Interferon Research
- The American Association of Immunologists
- The American College of Physicians
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society for NeuroImmune Pharmacology
- International Society of Neuroimmunology
- International Society for NeuroVirology
- Neurotoxicity Society
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Contribution to the Advancement of the Mission of the Society on NeuroImmune Pharmacology, 2017
- Pioneer in NeuroVirology, International Society for NeuroVirology, 2016
- UNMC Outstanding Faculty Mentor of the Year, 2014
- UNMC Innovator of the Year, 2013
- Herman Friedman Founders NeuroImmune Pharmacology Society Prize, 2013
- University of Nebraska Outstanding Research and Creative Activity (ORCA) Award, 2012
- UNMC Scientist Laureate and Distinguished Scientist, 2008
- Wybran NeuroImmune Pharmacology Prize, 2007
- Internal Medicine Research Career Excellence Award, UNMC, Department of Internal Medicine, 2003
- ISI Highly Cited Top < 1% of publication citations in the field of Microbiology. Top Physicians, Consumer’s Research Council of America, 2003
- Jacob Javits Neuroscience Research Award, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, NINDS, 2001
- J. William Fulbright Research Scholar, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel, 2000
- Pennsylvania State University "Distinguished Alumnus” Alumni Fellow Pennsylvania State University-Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, 1999
- UNMC Special Achievement Award-1999 and 2000
- Howard Gendelman, James Kipp, Barrett Rabinow: June 2, 2015, #9,044,381: "Method for Delivering Drugs to the Brain"
- Howard Gendelman, James Kipp, Barrett Rabinow: March 24, 2015, #8,986,736: "Method for Delivery Particulate Drugs to Tissues"
- Xiong H. and Gendelman HE. (2014) Current Laboratory Methods in Neuroscience. Springer Protocols Handbooks.
- Gendelman, HE, Grant I, Everall IP, Lipton SA and Swindells. (2012) The Neurology of AIDS, 3rd edition. Oxford University Press.
- Gendelman HE. (2009) "Preface." Lentiviruses and macrophages: Molecular and Cellular Interactions. Editor: Moira Desport, Caister Academic Press.
- Ikezu T and Gendelman HE. (2008) Neuroimmune Pharmacology, Springer.
- Nowacek A and Gendelman HE. (2009) "Nanotechnology and drug delivery for the nervous system and its relevance for neuroAIDS." In: Neuroimmunology and Developmental Neuroscience. Editor: R. Donahoe, Bastion India Press.
- Gendelman HE, Joseph J, Fox H and Sharp B. (2004) "Molecular Markers and Mechanisms of HIV-1 induced nervous system disease." J. Neuroimmunol. 157 (1-2, special edition, 2004 pp 1-1,184.
- Gendelman HE, Grant I, Lipton SA, Everall I and Swindells S. (2004) The Neurology of AIDS, second edition. Oxford University Press.
- Gendelman HE, Zheng J and Miller R. Neural Immunity. J. NeuroVirol. (special edition) December 8(6)
- Gendelman HE. Innate and Acquired Immunity in Neurodegenerative Disorders, J. Leuk. Biol. (special edition), April 1999.
- Gendelman HE, Rappaport J and Hickey W. The Blood Brain Barrier. J. NeuroVirol. (special edition), December 1999.
- Gendelman HE, Lipton SA, Epstein LG and Swindells S. (1997) The Neurology of AIDS, first edition. Chapman and Hall Publishers.