E-mail: Daniel Monaghan
July 2000-present Professor, Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
July 1993-June 2000 Associate Professor, Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
June 1989-June 1993 Assistant Professor, Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
June 1988-June 1989 Assistant Professor, Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, Irvine, CA
September 1988-December 1988 Instructor, School of Biology, University of California, Irvine
June 1987-June 1988 Assistant Research, Surgery, Division of Neurological Surgery University of California, Irvine Medical Center, Irvine, CA
Invited Grant Reviewer:
- Veterans Administration
- New Zealand Medical Research Council
- National Science Foundation
- March of Dimes
- City University of New York
- National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Qatar Government
- Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (1995-1997)
- Journal of Neurochemistry (1998-2005)
- Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology 2009-
Evaluation Panel Member:
- Current Drugs; (1998-present)
Memberships in Professional Societies:
- American Soc. Neurochemistry
- American Soc. Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- International Soc. Neurochemistry
- Society for Neuroscience
- NMDA receptor blockers for the prevention of atherosclerosis.
- PPDA, a novel NMDA receptor antagonist of unique subtype selectivity.(joint patent between Dr. David Jane, Univ. Bristol and Dan Monaghan)
- N-Methyl-D-aspartate receptor blockers for the prevention of congenital cardiovascular malformations.
Books and book chapters
Monaghan, D.T. and Wenthold, R.J. The Ionotropic Glutamate Receptors Humana Press, Totowa NJ, 1997.
Recent Book Chapters
Monaghan, D. and Jane, D. E. Pharmacology of the NMDA Receptor. In: Biology of the NMDA Receptor; Ed. A. VanDongen, CRC Press, pp. 257-281 (2009).
Bleakman, D., Alt, A.J., Lodge, D.J., Monaghan, D.T., Jane, D.E., and Nisenbaum, E.S. Excitatory amino acids: Ionotropic glutamate receptors. (Chapter 10) In: The Handbook of Contemporary Neuropharmacology; Editors: D. Sibley, I. Hanin, M. Kuhar, and P. Skolnick. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken. (2007).
Monaghan DT, Boyle J, Bean L, Gautam V, and Jane, DE Structure and function of NMDA Receptor Channels. In: Biophysical aspects of ligand-gated ion channel receptor superfamilies. Ed.: Arias; Research Signpost. (2006) pp 259
Monaghan, D.T., More J.C.A., Feng, B., and Jane, D. Glutamate Receptors: Ionotropic., In Dopamine and glutamate in psychiatric disorders. Eds. W. J. Schmidt and M..A. Reith. Humana Press, pp. 415-478 (2005).
Additional publications in PubMed.