Durham Research Center 1, 8032
985800 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5880
Keywords: HIV, inflammation, mitochondria, extracellular vesicles, chronic heart failure, neurodegenerative disorders
I have extensive experience in mitochondrial biology, redox biology, stem cell biology and neuroscience as well as cardiovascular research:
2006 to 2009: My research was aimed at understanding the interaction between the immune system and the central nervous system during HIV infection. In particular, investigating the cross-talk between immune cells and neurons in the neuro-pathogenesis of HIV-associated neurodegenerative disorders.
2009 to 2015: My research was focused on the direct reprogramming of somatic cells into induced pluripotent stem cells, neural stem cells and subtype neuronal progenitors, and investigating their therapeutic potentials in neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease and HIV-associated dementia.
2015 to present: My research interests were aimed at understanding the intra- and inter-organ communications by extracellular vesicles during the progression of cardiovascular diseases and neurodegenerative disorders and focused on the underlying mechanisms by which damaged organs communicate with remote organs during the disease process to further identify the therapeutic targets. Additionally, my research was also focused on understanding the ion channel-mediated mechanisms by which drug abuse and antiretroviral therapy (ART) potentiate the HIV-induced inflammasome activation and brain inflammation.Research interests
- HIV, ion channel and brain inflammation.
- The intra- and inter-organ communications in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular diseases and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Mitochondria, redox signaling and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Tian C#, Hu G, Gao L, Hackfort BT, Zucker IH. Extracellular Vesicular MicroRNA-27a* Contributes to Cardiac Hypertrophy in Chronic Heart Failure. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology (#Corresponding author). 2020 May 1; 143:120-131. doi: 10.1016/j.yjmcc.2020.04.032. PMID: 32370947
- Tian C#, Gao L, Zhang A, Hackfort BT, Irving H. Zucker. Therapeutic Effects of Nrf2 Activation by Bardoxolone Methyl in Chronic Heart Failure. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2019 Dec; 371(3):642-651. PMID: 31601682. (#Corresponding author)
- Liao K, Niu F, Dagur RS, He M, Tian C, Hu G. Intranasal Delivery of lincRNA-Cox2 siRNA Loaded Extracellular Vesicles Decreases Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Microglial Proliferation in Mice. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2019 Jul 20. doi: 10.1007/s11481-019-09864-z. PMID: 31325121.
- He M, Zhang H, Li Y, Tian C, Tang B, Huang Y, Zheng J. Direct and selective lineage conversion of human fibroblasts to dopaminergic precursors. Neurosci Lett. 2019 Apr 23; 699: 16-23. PMID:30664902; PMCID: PMC6443443
- Ma Y, Wang K, Pan J, Fan Z, Tian C, Deng X, Ma K, Xia X, Huang Y, Zheng JC. Induced neural progenitor cells abundantly secrete extracellular vesicles and promote the proliferation of neural progenitors via extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathways. Neurobiol Dis. 2019 Apr; 124:322-334. PMID: 30528256
- Ma K, Deng X, Xia X, Fan Z, Qi X, Wang Y, Li Y, Ma Y, Chen Q, Peng H, Ding J, Li C, Huang Y#, Tian C#, Zheng JC#. Direct conversion of mouse astrocytes into neural progenitor cells and specific lineages of neurons. Transl Neurodegener. 2018 Nov 5; 7: 29. doi: 10.1186/s40035-018-0132-x. PMID: 30410751; PMCID: PMC6217767. (#Co-Corresponding author)
- Tian C, Lie Gao, Matthew C. Zimmerman, Irving H. Zucker. Myocardial infarction-induced microRNA-enriched exosomes contribute to cardiac Nrf2 dysregulation in chronic heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2018 May 1; 314 (5): H928-H939. PMID: 29373037
- Hu G, Liao K, Niu F, Yang L, Dallon BW, Callen S, Tian C, Shu J, Cui J, Sun Z, Lyubchenko YL, Ka M, Chen XM, Buch S. Astrocyte EV-induced lincRNA-Cox2 regulates microglial phagocytosis: Implications for morphine-mediated potentiation of neurodegeneration. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 2018 Dec 7; 13: 450-463. PMID: 30388619
- Li Y, Peer J, Zhao R, Xu Y, Wu B, Wang Y, Tian C, Huang Y, Zheng J. Serial deletion reveals structural basis and stability for the core enzyme activity of human glutaminase 1 isoforms: Relevance to excitotoxic neurodegeneration. Transl Neurodegener. 2017 Apr 20; 6:10. PMID: 28439409. PMCID: PMC5399437
- Tian C#, Zucker IH. Therapeutic microRNA-based strategies in cardiovascular disease discriminate sex and age difference. J Physiol. 2016 Oct 15; 594(20):5731-5732. PMID: 27739075; PMCID: PMC5063941. (#Co-Corresponding author)
- Becker BK, Tian C, Zucker IH, Wang HJ. Influence of brain-derived neurotrophic factor-tyrosine receptor kinase B signalling in the nucleus tractussolitarius on baroreflex sensitivity in rats with chronic heart failure. J Physiol. 2016 Oct 1; 594 (19): 5711-25. PMID: 27151332, PMCID: PMC5043030
- Becker BK, Wang HJ, Tian C, Zucker IH. BDNF contributes to angiotensin II-mediated reductions in peak voltage-gated K+ current in cultured CATH.a cells. Physiol Rep. 2015 Nov; 3 (11). pii: e12598. PMID: 26537343; PMCID: PMC4673628
- Tian C*, #, Li Y*, Huang Y*, Wang Y, Chen D, Liu J, Deng X, Sun L, Anderson K, Qi X, Li Y, Mosley RL, Chen X, Huang J and and Zheng JC#. Selective Generation of Dopaminergic Precursors from Mouse Fibroblasts by Direct Lineage Conversion. Sci Rep. 2015 Jul 30; 5: 12622. PMID: 26224135. (#Co-Corresponding author)
- Tian C and Zheng J. Neural Progenitors by Direct Reprogramming: Strategies for the Treatment of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s Diseases. Science. 2013 Dec 20; 342 (6165 Suppl): 50-52. PMCID: PMC4317468. PMID: 24092720. DOI:10.1126/science.1244943
- C Tian#, Liu Q, Ma K, Wang Y, Chen Q, Ambroz R, Klinkebiel DL, Li Y, Huang Y, Ding J, Wu J, Zheng JC#. Characterization of Induced Neural Progenitors from Skin Fibroblasts by a Novel Combination of Defined Factors. Sci Rep. 2013 Feb 26; 3: 1345. PMID: 23439431. PMCID: PMC3581826. (#Co-correspondence Author).
- Tian, C#, Ambroz, R., Sun, L., Wang, Y., Ma, K., Chen, Q., Zhu, B. and Zheng, J#(2012). Direct conversion of dermal fibroblasts into neural progenitor cells by a novel cocktail of defined factors. Current Molecular Medicine. 2012, 12(2):126-137. PMID: 2217210 (#Co-corresponding author)
Additional publications in PubMed