Department of Pharmacy Practice
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986145 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6145
Dr. Baldwin is the primary instructor and course coordinator for Substance Abuse (PHPR 621) and Recovering from Addictions (PHPR 623) and is co-coordinator for two Pharmacotherapy sections. He provides instruction, primarily on substance abuse and pediatric topics, in the Pharmacotherapy courses (PHPR 672, 674, 676, 678) and in courses in the College of Allied Health Professions. Dr. Baldwin also coordinates and serves as the primary preceptor for PHPR 720 Pediatric Clerkships).
Dr. Baldwin’s research has been primarily in the area of characterization of substance abuse attitudes and behaviors in health professionals. Additional scholarly activities include promotion of active learning in pharmacy education, development of standards for addiction assistance for pharmacy colleges and professionals, development of guidelines for pediatric and addiction education in pharmacy, and promotion of professional and public education about addiction.
- Baldwin JN, Scott DM, Jungnickel PW, Narducci WA, Prokop PA, Magelli MA. Evaluation of alcohol and drug use attitudes and behaviors in pharmacy college faculty: part I, behaviors. Am J Pharmaceut Educ. 1990; 54:233-38 and part II, attitudes. Am J Pharmaceut Educ. 1990; 54:239-42.
- Baldwin JN, Light KE, Stock C, Ives TJ, Crabtree BL, Miederhoff PA, Tommasello T, Levine PJ. Curricular guidelines for pharmacy education: substance abuse and addictive disease. Am J Pharmaceut Educ. 1991; 55:311-6.
- Kriegler KA, Baldwin JN, Scott DM. Survey of alcohol and drug use behaviors and risk factors in health profession students. J Amer Coll Health. 1994; 42(6):259-65.
- Dole EJ, Baldwin JN, Murawski MM, Tommasello AC, Downs GE. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy guidelines for the development of psychoactive substance use disorder policies for colleges of pharmacy. Am J Pharmaceut Educ, 1999; 63:28S-34S.
- Baldwin JN, Scott DM, Agrawal S, Bartek JK, Davis-Hall RE, Reardon TP, DeSimone EM. Assessment of alcohol and other drug use behaviors in health professions students. Subst Abuse. 2006; 27(3):25-35
- Baldwin JN. A guided abstinence experience to illustrate addiction recovery principles. Am J Pharm Educ, 2008; 72(4) Article 78.
- Baldwin JN, Bartek JK, Scott DM, Davis-Hall RE, DeSimone EM. Survey of alcohol and other drug use attitudes and behaviors in nursing students. Subst Abuse. 2009; 30:230-38.
- Baldwin JN, Scott DM, DeSimone EM, Forrester JH, Fankhauser MS. Substance Use Attitudes and Behaviors at Three Pharmacy Colleges. Subst Abuse. 2011; 32:27-35.
- Kenna GA, Baldwin JN, Trinkoff A, Lewis DC. Substance use disorders in health care professionals. In Johnson BA, ed. Addiction Medicine: Science and Practice. New York NY: Springer; 2011: 1375-1398.
- Baldwin, JN. Chapter 108. Substance abuse care. In Allen LV, ed. Remington: the Science and Practice of Pharmacy, 22nd ed. London UK: Pharmaceutical Press. 2013: 2613-2619