Department of Pharmacy Practice
College of Pharmacy
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986145 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6145
Dr. Podany practices as an ambulatory clinical pharmacist as part of the University of Nebraska Medical Center HIV Program.
Dr. Podany teaches in the Pharmacotherapy course on topics related to HIV infection and associated opportunistic infections. He also lectures in the Intro to Drug Information Course given to 1st year pharmacy students. Dr. Podany is also a preceptor for 4th year APPE students at the Specialty Care Clinic at UNMC with a focus on care of HIV infected adults and adolescents.
Research Activities and Interests:
Dr. Podany’s research focuses on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of antiretroviral drugs targeted at the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The ultimate goal of his research is to optimize pharmacotherapy of the HIV-infected individual so as to bring about superior health outcomes. Dr. Podany is an active pharmacologist on many AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) studies, both domestic and international.
Recent Publications and Abstracts:
- Podany AT, Winchester LC, Sandkovsky U and Fletcher CV. Quantification of Efavirenz and its 7-Hydroxy and 8-Hydroxy Metabolites in Human Plasma Via LC/MS/MS: Application to Neuropsychological Testing. PLOS One. Submitted.
- Podany AT, Sheldon C, Grafelman D & Ohnmacht C. Development and Validation of a Novel Assay for the Determination of Tenofovir in Human Plasma Using Solid Phase Analytical Derivatization and LC-MS/MS. Bioanalysis, submitted
- Podany, Anthony T., Yajing Bao, Susan Swindells, Richard E. Chaisson, Janet W. Andersen, Thando Mwelase, Khuanchai Supparatpinyo et al. "Efavirenz Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics in HIV-Infected Persons Receiving Rifapentine and Isoniazid for Tuberculosis Prevention." Clinical Infectious Diseases (2015): civ464
- Cressey, Tim R., Anchalee Avihingsanon, Guttiga Halue, Prattana Leenasirimakul, Pra-ornsuda Sukrakanchana, Yardpiroon Tawon, Nirattiya Jaisieng, G. Jourdain, AT Podany et al. "Plasma and Intracellular Pharmacokinetics of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate 300 mg Every 48 Hours vs 150 mg Once Daily in HIV-Infected Adults With Moderate Renal Function Impairment." Clinical Infectious Diseases (2015): civ346.
- Fletcher CV & Podany AT, The Pharmacology of Antiretroviral Drugs in Lymphoid Tissues. Encyclopedia of AIDS, x/e. Editors: Hope T, Richman D, Stevenson M. Springer Reference 2015
- Batra R, Wolbach-Lowes J, Swindells S, Scarsi K, Podany AT, Sayles H & Sandkovsky U. Impact of HIV Pharmacist Reconciliation on Correction of Antiretroviral Prescription Errors Among Hospitalized HIV-Infected Patients. Antiviral Therapy, 2015
- Podany AT, Winchester LC, Baldwin J, Robbins BL & Fletcher CV. Determination of the Rifamycin Antibiotics Rifabutin, Rifampin, Rifapentine and their Major Metabolites in Human Plasma via Simultaneous Extraction Coupled LC/MS/MS. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 104 (2015): 55-61.
- Podany AT, Winchester LC, Robbins BL & Fletcher CV. Quantification of Cell Associated Atazanavir, Darunavir, Lopinavir, Ritonavir and Efavirenz in Human Mononuclear Cell Extracts. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2014,58(5):2866-2870..
- Scarsi K, Seifert S, Podany AT, Anderson PL, Fletcher CV Chapter 11: HIV Pharmacogenomics. Pharmacogenomics Applications to Patient Care, 3/e. American College of Clinical Pharmacy 2014.
- Podany AT*, Bao Y, Chaisson RE, Swindells S, Andersen JW, Mwelase T, Supparatpinyo K, Gupta A, Benson CA, and Fletcher CV. Efavirenz Pharmacokinetics in HIV+ Persons Receiving Rifapentine and Isoniazid for TB Prevention. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI); March 3-6, 2014, Boston, MA [abstract 105].