M.D. 1984, West China University of Medical Sciences
Ph.D. 2001, Peking Union Medical College & Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
Specialty: Cardiovascular Physiology
Major Interest: Neural control of circulation; Skeletal muscle contraction; Keap1-Nrf2 signaling pathway.
Our research focuses on the physiological and pathological implication of Keap1-Nrf2 signaling pathway in central regulation of cardiovascular activity and skeletal muscle function in the setting of animal models with chronic heart failure (CHF). Keap1-Nrf2 is a critical transcriptional signaling pathway to enhance endogenous antioxidant defense via upregulating a broad array of antioxidant enzymes in response to oxidative stress. Rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) is a key component of brainstem to control sympathetic outflow, which contains pre-sympathetic neurons whose excitability is largely determined by redox status. Skeletal muscle is the largest organ in the body to provide force for posture, movement, and breathing. Contracting muscles generate a numerous ROS, which, in turn, profoundly impacts on skeletal muscle itself. We are particularly interested in the Keap1-Nrf2 signaling pathway in the RVLM and skeletal myocytes with highlighting the autonomic dysfunction and exercise intolerance in CHF. Molecular, cellular, organic, and whole animal techniques are employed to understand the mechanisms underpinning sympatho-excitation and skeletal myopathy in CHF that are associated with redox perturbation by in vivo, in site, and ex vivo experiments.
- Tian C, Gao L, Zimmerman MC, Zucker IH. Myocardial infarction-induced microRNA-enriched exosomes contribute to cardiac Nrf2 dysregulation in chronic heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2018;314:H928-H939. PMID: 29373037
- Gao L, Zimmerman MC, Biswal S, Zucker IH. Selective Nrf2 Gene Deletion in the Rostral Ventrolateral Medulla Evokes Hypertension and Sympathoexcitation in Mice. Hypertension. 2017; 69:1198-1206. PMID: 28461605
- Gao J, Zucker IH, Gao L. Activation of central angiotensin type 2 receptors by compound 21 improves arterial baroreflex sensitivity in rats with heart failure. Am J Hypertens. 2014; 27:1248-1256. PMID: 24687998
- Shao C, Yu L, Gao L. B Activation of angiotensin type 2 receptors partially ameliorates streptozotocin-induced diabetes in male rats by islet protection. Endocrinology. 2014; 155:793-804. PMID: 24302627
- Shao C, Zucker IH, Gao L. Angiotensin type 2 receptor in pancreatic islets of adult rats: a novel insulinotropic mediator. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2013;305:E1281-1291. PMID: 24085035