Excellence in Research Award Application, 2021
The Excellence in Research Award recognizes UNMC Postdoctoral Scholars who have made outstanding contributions to their scientific field. It is one of the two major awards offered by the Office of Postdoctoral Education and is therefore highly competitive.
Two finalists will be invited to deliver a presentation, not to exceed 12 minutes, on their research at the Office of Postdoctoral Education’s Annual Event on 29 October 2021. The award recipient will receive a $1,000 prize while the other finalist will receive a $600 prize.
All current UNMC Postdoctoral Scholars are eligible for the Excellence in Research Award
Required Application Materials
To apply for the Excellence in Research Award, please provide the following:
- An application packet coversheet with your name, email, department, and mentor.
- A single-spaced one-page narrative of your best first-author publication that clearly describes the background and existing literature on the topic, your research methods, and how the paper advanced the scholarship of the field. The narrative must adhere to the following formatting requirements:
- 1-inch margins
- 12-point Times New Roman or other professionally appropriate font
- A PDF of the article as published.
- A current CV that follows the NIH Biosketch format.
- A letter of recommendation, preferably from the candidate’s current faculty mentor. The letter should not exceed two pages.
Candidates will also be evaluated on:
- First author publications
- Fellowships and grants
- Any external activities, such as volunteer work, that demonstrate your commitment to science, scholarship, and/or service
- Professionalism of application materials
Please submit all required documentation to Dr. Charles Klinetobe at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Thursday, 21 October 2021 at 5 P.M.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
Applicants for the Excellence in Research Award will not be considered for the Pathway to Independence Award.