Pathway to Independence Award Application, 2021
The Pathway to Independence Award recognizes UNMC Postdoctoral Scholars in their first three years of training who have made substantial progress toward an independent career. This award requires demonstrated early preparation, defined career objectives supported by a clear understanding of the chosen field, and a record of scholarly productivity such as publications, grants, and fellowships. It is one of the two major awards offered by the Office of Postdoctoral Education and is therefore highly competitive. The Pathway to Independence Award will only be awarded if there is an exemplary candidate.
The recipient of the Pathway to Independence Award will receive a certificate and a $1,500 prize. Their faculty mentor will receive a Certificate of Excellence in Postdoctoral Mentoring. The award will be presented at the Office of Postdoctoral Education’s Annual Event on 29 October 2021.
Only postdoctoral scholars within their first three years of training at UNMC are eligible for the Pathway to Independence Award
Required Application Materials
To apply for the Pathway to Independence Award, please provide the following:
- An application packet coversheet with your name, email, department, and mentor.
- A listing of all first-author peer-reviewed publications, grants, and fellowships since arriving at UNMC.
- A PDF of your best publication as it was published.
- A one-page single-spaced narrative of your career goals, whether in academia or elsewhere, that demonstrates your clear planning, preparation, strategy, and relevant achievements. Please provide specific examples and evidence. The narrative must adhere to the following formatting requirements:
- 1-inch margins
- 12-point Times New Roman or other professionally appropriate font.
- A current CV that follows the NIH Biosketch format.
- A letter of recommendation, preferably from the applicant’s current mentor, that evaluates the candidate’s career preparation and excellence in scientific contribution and achievement. This letter should not exceed two pages.
Candidates will also be evaluated on:
- First author publications
- Fellowships and grants
- Any external activities, such as volunteer work, that demonstrate your commitment to science, scholarship, and/or service
- Professionalism of application materials
Please submit all required documentation to Dr. Charles Klinetobe at email@example.com by no later than Thursday, 21 October 2021 at 5 P.M.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
Applicants for the Pathway to Independence Award will not be considered for the Excellence in Research Award