All international scholars must hold an appropriate visa status during their stay at UNMC. Below are frequently asked questions regarding obtaining a visa for a postdoctoral position. If you have further questions regarding visas, please contact the UNMC International Affairs Office.

Q. How do I start the process of getting my visa?

  1. The first step in the process is for the sponsoring department to contact UNMC International Health & Medical Education Office (IHME) and request the appropriate visa forms.

Q. What type of visa will I get?

  1. Because UNMC is the sponsoring institution, it is up to UNMC to determine which type of visa will be sponsored. Typically, post-doctoral researchers are invited on the J-1 visa.

Q. I don't want or don't think I can get a J-1 visa. Can I request an H-1B visa?

  1. The decision to pursue a J-1 or an H-1B is determined by the UNMC department and IHME. Several factors are part of this decision, including cost and time of visa preparation, length of research program, and other factors.

Q. How do I make a visa appointment at my local U.S. Consulate or Embassy?

  1. Please visit the U.S. Consulate or Embassy website. You will need to bring your UNMC visa document and your passport to the interview, as well as other documentation depending on which type of visa you are applying for.

Q. I have my visa. When should I plan to arrive in the U.S. and what do I do when I get there?

  1. If you have a J-1 visa, you must arrive inside the U.S. within 27 days of the start date on the DS-2019 form. If your arrival will be delayed and you cannot arrive within that time frame, you must contact UNMC and request a new DS-2019 form with an adjusted beginning date. Failure to do this and arriving more than 27 days past the start date can cause serious problems with your visa and ability to remain in the U.S. on J-1 status. Many other visa questions can be answered on the Department of State visa website. Once you arrive in the U.S., you should report to your sponsoring department and contact IHME to arrange an in-processing appointment. Please bring your passport, visa, DS-2019 form (if applicable), and I-94 card to this appointment.

Q. I have other visa questions. Who can I contact?

  1. UNMC IHME is happy to answer questions regarding J-1, H-1B and other visas. Please send your questions to